He Had To Let Her Go

Sera walked the path leading away from Galena with Everest hitching a ride in her backpack.
    She refused to reply to anything Glenn had said as she walked away. He tried to stop her, to stand in her way. She gave him one last look and he knew; he had to let her go.
Sera walked in the direction of Dagwood's house by following the map in the journal. She, of course, had her doubts about finding him. What if he's not there anymore? she thought, what if he died, too? She didn't want to think that way, but she couldn't help it.
When night fell, Sera and Everest decided to set up camp. Even though Forest Dwellers have no trouble seeing in the dark because of their advanced eyesight, the girl and the dragon thought it better they rest. She gathered stones and twigs to build a fire while Everest decided to make himself useful and keep a small boulder warm for her until she was ready to sit.
"Thanks," Sera said sarcastically as the little dragon moved aside for her, looking proud of himself. She gave him a small smile and a gentle pat on the head.
Sera retrieved her father's journal from her backpack where she had stowed it for safekeeping. She turned to the pages on the Black Dragon, or as Clifford referred to it, "the B.D." She decided to study up on whatever information was there while she chewed on the dried strips of turkey she brought.
That's when she felt as if she was being watched.
She didn't know why, but she could feel a pair of eyes searing into her back as she sat in front of the fire. She slowly turned around, being careful not to make any sudden movements as she tried to find out what was behind her.
Sera peered into the trees surrounding her and saw two silver eyes gazing at her intently. They certainly weren't animal's eyes, but they weren't Forest Dweller's eyes either.
"Who are you!" Sera called at the eyes and into the darkness.
They both stayed still, waiting to see who would move first. It was the eyes that decided to break the stillness, but not the eye contact.
As the person attached to the eyes slowly stepped with her hands and feet that had patches of silver hair into the firelight, Sera began to see the shape of a Snow Angel. Her pale-as-ice skin shone in the orange glow, even though it was covered in patches of dirt. Her equally pale hair dangled in her face, framing her round and breathtaking face perfectly. The girl's clothes weren't something Sera thought a Snow Angel would wear. Where Sera imagined a heavy coat and snow pants, she saw a tattered crop-top and cargo pants that looked like their pockets were brimming with supplies. Sera sat as still as a statue, frightened as to what this girl would do once she got close enough to her.
The girl crawled closer and closer until her nose was almost touching Sera's nose. Sera was leaning as far back as she could without falling off of her boulder. The girl sniffed Sera's face a bit as if she was trying to decide if Sera was dangerous based on her scent. It was now that Sera noticed the girl was sweating profusely.
"Um, w-what are you doing?" Sera asked the girl, her palms becoming clammy.
"I am trying to figure out if I can trust you," the girl replied. Her voice was softer than silk and smoother than melted butter.
"You don't have to do it so close," Sera replied, slightly annoyed.
"This is how I decide. You must be patient."
Sera was becoming uncomfortable as the girl stared harshly into her eyes. She reached for a rock that was nearby to see if she could throw it and distract her. The girl did not like this sudden movement and her hand moved like lightening to Sera's throat.
"Stop-" Sera tried to say, but the girl's grip was strong and Sera could feel the oxygen being cut off from her lungs.
Suddenly, Glenn came yelling seemingly out of nowhere and the girl, startled, released Sera's throat. Glenn charged at her and swiftly knocked her off of her feet, pinning her hands behind her back and her face to the dirt.
Sera choked to catch her breath and realized what had just happened.
"Glenn what on Teplarago are you doing here?!" she screamed hoarsely at him.
"Well, I-" he stumbled to find his words as Sera became increasingly more angry.
"Let her go! It was my fault she flipped out."
Glenn released the pale girl with a confused look and she jumped to her feet and into a defensive position.
"Well how am I supposed to trust you now?" Sera asked her, placing her hands on her hips.
"You were going to hit me with a rock!" She yelled, panting from Glenn's take down.
"I wasn't, I was going to distract you so I could get away from your 'trust' ritual."
"It is a perfectly reasonable method-"
"What do you think would have happened if I was the one to grab your throat?"
The girl stopped and her shoulders fell.
"I hadn't thought of that. That's just how we do it where I'm from."
Sera rolled her eyes.
"We're obviously not from the same place. I'm Sera, and this is my idiot brother, Glenn, who isn't supposed to be here," Sera said, glaring at Glenn.
The girl stood slowly upright and Sera saw just how small she actually was compared to the two Forest Dwellers. She was practically a foot and a half shorter than them.
"I'm Dove," the girl said at last.
Glenn apologized for the attack and Dove nodded in acknowledgment.
"So what is a Snow Angel doing all the way out in the Northern Patropic forests?" Sera asked.
"I'm looking for someone," Dove replied tentatively.
"Who?" Glenn asked.
"His name is Clifford. There is a beast in the forest and I'm afraid it's going to kill my uncle Dagwood-"
Sera's ears perked up at the mention of those names. A glimmer of hope sparked inside her.
"Did you just say 'Clifford' and 'Dagwood?'" she asked.
"Yes, do you know them?"
"Dove, I think we're going to be able to help each other."