As The Fire Burned

As the fire burned between them, Sera and Dove talked with each other about everything that had happened. Glenn stayed silent with a serious yet exhausted expression on his face.
    "In my town, teachers used to tell a story about the Black Dragon and I didn't really think anything of it until I went to live with my uncle," Dove said. "He would tell it to me with such fear, like he believed it wholeheartedly."
    That's strange, Sera thought. Dad wrote in the journal that Dagwood never believed him about the B.D.
    "What's the story?" Sera asked.
    "Well they say there was a Snow Angel boy who was kind and gentle and he loved exploring the forests on the edge of town, even though his parents warned him of the danger. One day, he wandered too deep into the snow covered trees and the Black Dragon snatched him up and carried him to its nest.
    "His harsh and strong older sister decided to go and rescue him because she loved him so dearly. She traveled for days and days before she found the nest, but when she arrived, the beast had already eaten the boy. In her anger, she fought the Black Dragon and slit its throat, avenging her brother and becoming the hero of the town.
    "People celebrated her for years, throwing parties and parades, but nothing made her happy. She was filled with so much sorrow that she climbed the highest mountain peak and threw herself off the edge in her grief."
    Sera was quiet for several minutes, unsure of how to respond or even what to think of the story. Glenn looked up at her and their eyes met. She knew exactly what he thought of the story.
    "I thought it was only a fairytale that people told children to keep them from wandering too far," Dove said, breaking the silence. "But my uncle was attacked by something and he believes it was the beast."
    "How did you know to come find my father?" Sera asked.
    "I found some old letters in my uncles study that were from Clifford. They wrote to each other extensively about the Black Dragon. My uncle didn't want me to have anything to do with it and said that I should just move back home but I-"
    "Clifford is dead," Glenn interrupted.
    "W-what?" Dove stuttered, her eyes widening.
    Sera elbowed her brother in the ribs and he glared at her.
    "Well I wasn't going to just sit here and let her get her hopes up," he said before standing and storming away from the fire to lean against a tree.
    "I...I'm sorry for your loss," Dove said, bowing her head.
    Sera looked away and said, "It's fine, it was before I was even born."
    Dove went to put a hand on her shoulder but Sera flinched away.
    "Look, it doesn't even matter. I have his journal so we have all the information that we need."
    "Are you sure? I don't really know what I'm doing but I can't let anything happen to my uncle."
    Sera's shoulders dropped as she saw the fear on the Snow Angel girls face. Something softened inside her but she couldn't explain why.
    "We're going to be fine, Dove, we'll figure it out."
    Glenn whipped his head around at these words.
    "Who the hell are you to tell her it's going to be fine? You have no idea what you're doing! None of us do!" he shouted at her.
    "Shut up, Glenn, you're not even supposed to be here," she spat at him.
    "You and I both know you would die out here by yourself. You shouldn't have gone alone."
    "I didn't want you slowing me down, always telling me to be careful."
    "Oh come on, Sera."
    She looked down, refusing to look him in the eyes.
    "You're right, I don't know what I'm doing. I don't even know what this thing is capable of-"
    "All the more reason to take me with you," he interrupted.
    "No, it's not. This thing could kill me, I know that, but no one would miss me. You, on the other hand, have a wife, daughters, friends, mom! They would all be ruined if you died. Especially mom, and especially because you were with me. That part specifically would ruin me."
     Sera glanced at her brother. His eyes had softened. She looked back down.
    "I would miss you," Glenn said after a few silent minutes.
    "Well, you're the only one."
    Dove shifted uncomfortably on her log and cleared her throat. Realizing Dove was still sitting there and heard everything, the two Forest Dwellers attempted to compose themselves. Sera wiped the tears that had somehow appeared on her hot cheeks and Glenn stuffed his hands in his pockets.
    "I think maybe we should try to get some rest," Dove said at last.