【𝓢𝓪𝓷𝓮𝓶𝓲】

↠Slight spoiler warning for Sanemi's family!!!
↠Soulmate AU
↠Modern AU
↠Fluff
↠Angst
↠Mentions of suicide and self-harm
↠Fem Reader

Word Count - 4871
Cordolium - Published 5/26/20

Cordolium: Heartache; heartfelt sorrow
»»———————————————————««

The television buzzed in the dark living room, static flashing along the white screen as it screeched loudly throughout the empty apartment. With the room askew, pillows and blankets tossed to the floor in disarray, a light flickered to life on the cluttered coffee table. Surrounded by piles of stained paperwork, an unidentified dark drink spilled over its contents, a phone buzzed, multiple notifications flashing onto the screen to alert whoever glanced at it.

Text messages, all from the same person.

The loud noises that emitted from the television flitted down the empty hallway, sneaking its way into every small nook and cranny, reaching the lighted bathroom as it echoed off the tiled floor. Despite the bouncing feedback, the bathroom was silent. Discarded clothes were left in a messy pile at the door, a fluffy towel resting on top of the empty sink.

Each small plip of a droplet from the bathtub faucet rang through the room, creating growing ripples in the clear and calm water. A figure was submerged underneath the watery surface, arms curled around its bare legs, eyes scrunched closed and darkened hair floating in the still void. Droplet after droplet sank into the water after each passing second, a rhythmic pattern, and despite being underwater, it sounded so deafeningly loud with each distorted collision upon the surface.

Plip

Plip

Plip

Lungs burning for air, you made the mistake of gasping, water filling your throat as you lurched up to a sit. Your hands reached your neck in desperation, sputtering for a single breath as the water invaded your chest. Your eyes stung with fresh tears, coughing with each inhale as the suffocating sensation slowly left. A shaky breath wracked your lungs, leaning against the edge of the tub, clutching at your thundering chest.

'Drowning is a no.'

Your eyes glanced at the ticking watch that was placed on the floor beside you, picking it up and studying over the moving hands.

One minute thirteen seconds.

As the drain plug was pulled, you watched the liquid swirl down the drain, remaining seated until it was long gone from your watery grave. You stood, and made quick work of drying off and getting dressed.

When you approached the messy living room, you sighed, clicking the raging television off before retrieving your buzzing phone. Unlocking the screen to see a mirage of messages, your tired figure clicked the green button as a dial tone rang in your ear. Before the second ring could come, the receiver clicked, notifying you that they picked up.

"Sorry I didn't see your messages. I was busy."

●○●

"-and he just fucking jumped the fence despite me telling him to stop! I swear that little shit is going to be the death of me."

Your unblinking eyes never left his, lost in an empty trance as his lips continued to ramble on. Your tired mind couldn't comprehend what he was saying.

"Oi, are you even listening to me?"

Slowly blinking yourself from the little trance, your hands gripped at your boba, raising the plastic cup to your lips as you gulped down a long sip.