Chapter 1: Choices

"I want to leave evidence on you that I existed. I want to hold you tight and love you all night so that you can remember me forever. Will you let me?"

You squealed because this was always your favorite part of 707's after ending. The feeling you got every time you played his route felt like genuine love and joy, making you always have a fluttery feeling in your stomach. Finishing the ending, you went onto the secret endings and finished them quickly, using up the last of your hourglasses so you can get the result in the end where 707 proposes to you. You began smiling madly because you knew that 707 would be happy that you were always redoing his route because he was indeed your favorite character, but then your smile began to fade just as quick being that was all he was: a character in a game that will never exist in real life.

Sighing, you put your phone down on your bed to go downstairs to get a little snack before redoing the game for the hundredth time and just as you were walking out, you heard a thump on your floor. You quickly turned around and noticed your phone on the carpet of your room.

"Of course, clumsy me." You chuckled to yourself, going back to pick up your phone from the ground and placing it in the middle of your bed. You nodded contently and proceeded to head downstairs to get your snack. You were twenty-one and living alone due to college classes and it was pretty easy for you to adjust and get used to things on your own.

Since you were in middle school, you begun to learn things most people started learning at the age of sixteen because of the family you grew up in. You were raised by a single mother and a younger brother who would be a freshman in high school by now. Your dad was hardly in the picture and your mother, well, she didn't exactly mother you in the way you two needed. You always felt guilty for leaving your younger brother behind only for him to be raised in a foster family.

----

"I promise, I promise with all my might, as soon as I am done with college, I am coming back to get you, do you understand me?"

He held you so close and so desperately as you spoke these words to him. He pulled away with pleading in his eyes. He did not want to go.

"Y/n... I don't want to be here, I don't know these people. What if they treat me bad? I've read so many books on how fostering works and I don't want to become a victim of that abuse."

You chuckled to yourself in admiration for your little brother. "You're so smart for a kid, you know that, Eugene? I promise, this couple is going to take care of you, and look, you'll even have like, brothers and sisters by your side to get to know and to play with!" You began to feel that prickle of liquid start to emerge in the inner corners of your eyes.

"But you're the only sibling I need." He spoke, breaking the tears free from your eyes as he hugged you even tougher than before.

It broke your heart to leave him, and at such a young age, you were only eighteen, he twelve and you couldn't take care of someone else while going to college at the same time. Your reason for attending college would be to give you and your brother a good life. After your bachelors, it would be easier for a job, easier for money and easier to take care of you both.

"Remember my promise, okay? I'll come back for you and always remember to be brave. You have my number and you know how to reach me. I love you."

----

After getting your snack of a sandwich with a lemonade, you walked back upstairs and into your room. You took a bite of your sandwich and stopped in your tracks when you noticed your phone on the floor again, screen faced up.

"I could've sworn I put it in the middle of my bed, what kind of joke is this?" You spoke into the emptiness of your room. "If there's a ghost in here and you're trying to freak me out, go away, I have enough problems in my life right now than to entertain an apparition. Just let me be!" You extended the 'e' in 'be' and swallowed the bit of sandwich you left in your mouth. Taking slow steps to your phone, you noticed something. The screen was on and it was on the game.

"What? I thought I turned the screen off..." you pondered aloud. You noticed something on the screen though, picking up your phone, there were two squares with options that said "Continue" and "Reset". You had never seen these options before after the secret endings and curiosity was burning within you. "What is this? Some sort of update?" you asked aloud, as if someone was going to answer. You then held your phone close and shrunk in your body remembering there might be a ghost in there with you trying to mess with you. "Uh, never mind... please don't answer that."

Still wondering about the options, the words pulsed in red and yellow. I mean, what won't kill you, won't hurt right? After all, it might have just been an update and you were overthinking this to no avail. It was just a silly game that helped you escape your current troubles even if it was for a short amount of time.

Shrugging and placing your sandwich on a napkin on your nightstand, you sat at the corner of your bed and rested your back on the pillow behind you. You glanced at the pillow, ready to adjust it and realized it was your 707 body pillow. You snickered to yourself and whispered "of course", then spoke louder announcing to the pillow, or rather 707 on the pillow, "Well, here goes one more sleepless night I'm going to spend on this game! Hope this option is fun, Seven, I expect it to unlock a story where we have kids or something."

You clicked "Continue" ready for another adventure with 707, but little did you know, it was going to be just that.