Six Hours

After four hours they slowed their pace, they’d been running for nearly an hour straight, since Thorne ordered to conserve fuel and leave one boost left in each tank for the jump jets. Through their journey they had seen two asteroids loaded and vaporised by a giant plasma ball.

                Thorne stood apart with Oakham, Luk, Thoth and Aasith watching the bugs progress at the next preparations. They watched as another four bug ships blasted off and headed to another asteroid that was circling the planet.

                “Still think they are being vaporised?” Thorne asked them, he’d set them to a secure comm. channel for the group each one brought for a discussion because of their skills.

                “No. This is something different” Oakham replied the others giving grunts of agreement.

                “When do you think that next asteroid will be here?” Thorne asked, he glanced at Aasith who as calculating the movements.

                “Ninety to one-ten minutes” Aasith replied taking the scope from her eye

                “Just before our suits run out of power” Thoth added

                “I think this proves your theory Major” Luk said

                “Ideas on why so many?” Thorne asked as he watched the next asteroid meander forwards

                “Invasion. We’ve entered their home system on mass, they’re repaying the favour.” Aasith said

                “Pluto was a misfire; they didn’t end up on a world they could survive on but now with the brain bugs sucking people’s minds clean they know that Earth is there.”  Oakham said

                “Well, we better lower their chances of success. We have two hours to enter the mountain and destroy whatever they have that’s giving them FTL.” Thorne said

                “Chances of survival Sir?” Thoth asked

                “Zero.” Thorne answered

                “The odds I like” Aasith answered and turned to join the rest of the unit.

                “Oakham?” Thorne asked

                “One of the side tunnels and look out for what those things are that Aasith saw.” Oakham said

                “Let’s move out.” Thorne said, moving back to the group he signalled for them to move out, they moved at steady pace no longer a full blown run trying to keep their presence less obvious. So far they had been unmolested but now they were heading towards the hive of activity. Time was running out and Thorne knew it, the fleet officer Simmons was also a problem although dispatching him was an option.  It didn’t seem right without a better reason other than he’ll slow the unit down, at present he was holding on to the side of the chickenhawk finally fed up with the jolts travelled through the arms as he hung there like a doll. Moving ahead they watched as scores of warriors headed towards more ships to take them to the next asteroid, Thorne watched as they boarded, if all the asteroids had that many bugs on board the human race was doomed.

                After an hour further travelling they were finally at a place to make their move. The problem was the masses of warriors that were guarding and herding chariot bugs into their positions into the mountain. They were entering a far larger tunnel than the one Oakham and Thorne were looking at, what they needed was a distraction, a large distraction. He glanced at the unit, he wouldn’t sacrifice men to the distraction; he had no idea on what was going to be inside and would need every weapon he could. He looked at the Marauders, he’d arranged for them when he thought he’d have time for a recon and decided the best path. They would have to be expendable.