𝗕𝗢𝗡𝗨𝗦 : 𝗗𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗱'𝘀 𝗛𝗼𝗴𝘄𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘀 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿

FIRST YEAR

"Mum, I'm not a kid anymore. I'm eleven." David argued when Mallory had inched forward to kiss him on the cheek. "That means no kisses." Mallory kissed him still, leaving behind a red mark and her angrily wiped it off with the sleeve of his white shirt.

"No matter how hard you try to convince me, no matter how old you are, you'll forever be my Davey Bear. Now run along, Dora is waiting for you." David looked up to his mother, her eyes were red and he knew why.

"Tell mama I love her." David said, hugging her and jumped on the train before he waved at his mother and went to search for his older sister, who left when she met up with Rose and James, saying something about a Cedric.

David slumped in an empty train compartment when he couldn't find Dora and he decided to stop. Dora had her own friends, why would she want to be with him at the moment? He should make his own. Luckily, he didn't even have to stand up, because a girl with black, curly pigtails sat down across him.

"I'm Debra Thomas." She had smiled at him.

"David Grimmon." David had replied, looking out the window, hoping that she could talk because he didn't want to begin the conversation. What would he say? He was terrible at making conversation. With his mothers, it was easy. They were family but with strangers, it was hard. Where would he start, what would he say, would she find him funny?

"What house do you think you'll get? I'm hoping for Gryffindor cause my dad was Gryffindor. My mum was a Ravenclaw." Debra said, pulling out a tiny bag of candy and began happily munching on them. "Would you like some?"

"That's very kind of you to offer but I'm not a sweet tooth person. I find sweets very appalling. And I'm hoping to get either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, my parents were there." David said, watching Debra's face scrunch up.

"What does appalling mean?" She asked, face still scrunched up as she stuffed sweets into her mouth.

"Bad. Disgusting." He replied, and suddenly, Padma flooded his mind. She was sick, and before they left, he had gone to see her. He nearly cried but like he had told his mother, he was eleven. He wasn't a kid anymore, he was grown. But Padma looked thin, like she was dying, she was naturally dark but now she was ashen, her hair was falling out, she was vomiting blood. She was dying, and even though he was only eleven, David knew he would never see her again.

"Well then David, you're appalling for thinking sweets are appalling." Debra said, her sticky lips pressed together and shiny.

"Not everyone has the same views on certain things Debra, not everyone will like candy, not everyone will think candy is great." David argued and watched as Debra scoffed.

"My dad said not everyone will like me because of my tongue." Debra said, still stuffing her mouth even though her sticky fingers stuck to her sticky lips.

"Like I said, not everyone has the same beliefs." David smiled at her, not noticing his sister and her three friends as they walked towards their compartment.

"There you are! I thought you were behind me." Dora had yelled, swooping her dark curls over her shoulder. David had always envied his sister's dark curls. His hair was straight, like his mother's. And his skin was much darker than hers, he guessed that was because Mallory was the one who had carried Dora while Padma had carried him.

"I was, but you know how mum gets." David argued and his sister sat down beside him, while Rose sat down beside Debra, James sitting down beside her and Cedric sat on the floor.

"Mmh, I know." Her eyes landed on Debra. "I see you've made a friend. I'm Isadora Grimmon, this dork's big sister."

"Debra Thomas, and what does dork mean?" David sighed. He should've known.

"Stupid, I guess." Dora shrugged. "Oh and that's Rose Granger-Weasley, James Potter and Cedric Littleford." Dora turned to David and whispered, "Don't forget to write to mum and mother." David nodded. Dora called Mallory mum and Padma mother, David didn't know why she did that. "We'll be on, I just wanted to make sure David is alright."

"Did you see Gabrielle Park and Erik Wright? I heard Erik made Gabrielle-" David and Debra thankfully didn't hear the rest of the sentence Rose was telling Dora because Dora had shoved her forward. For someone who was in her second year though, Rose looked more mature than Dora.

"She looks fun." Debra commented. "I'm going to the loo to change, you should too." Debra said, already turning to her trunk and David grimaced at the thought that her sticky hands were going to touch her clean robes.

"Wait, let me clean your hands first." David said, already fishing through his pockets to find his wand and when he pulled out his cherry wood, unicorn hair, thirteen and a half inch wand, he pointed it towards her sticky hands. "I'm not sure this will work. This is a spell taught to fifth or sixth graders normally, but my mum taught me it, she said I had a knack for Charms." He began waving his wand. "Aguamenti." Thankfully, it worked but only a small amount of water burst out his wand, enough for Debra to clean her completely sticky and shiny hands. "You eat like a two year old."

"What? I'm still a child." Debra argued, grabbed her clothes with her dripping wet hands and went in search for the loo. David pulled out his robes and stared at them. They were all black, as he was still to be sorted into a house, and he didn't know what to expect.

Once clothed, he waited for Debra and she came later on, her hair a mess. David had sighed at her, helping her fix her hair and she had grumbled something. Once they reached the school, they rode the boat with two boys named George Ginley and Silas Puffet. David just knew then and there George was going to be a Gryffindor, he could tell by the way he had climbed off the boat, which was odd. He had stood on the edge and backflipped off. Silas, based on how clean and cut he looked, was Slytherin material.

"Grimmon, David!" David looked back at Debra, who beamed at him and showed him the thumbs up and he went to the stool, shaking. He sat down and the Hat was dropped unto his head, swooping over his eyes.

This is very simple. He heard the Hat say and David's heart sped. Where was he going? To Ravenclaw, where there he could at least be with Dora and Cedric, or to Gryffindor, where Rose was but he didn't really know Rose. She was his sister's friend, he knew nothing about her. He just knew that her aunt had sacrificed her life to save the life of his mother.

David licked his dry lips just as the Hat said, "Gryffindor!" And he hoped off, high fived Debra and sat down next to Rose at the Gryffindor table, happy.

***

David is such an interesting character to write about and I had fun writing about him and honestly, just one chapter isn't enough but alas, I haven't much choice. Debra was originally going to have her own story as Dean's sister, because he had half siblings and all, and Ginny's love interest but I decided against it later on. I hope you liked this because the next one is the last one, Vati and Lav.