ii. HUNTING

Kara's Pov🪓| words: 926 |🪓

Kara's Pov
🪓| words: 926 |🪓

It was the next day and Dale had already shouted at me and Amy for stealing his wine, I reasoned with him.

I promised that next time I was near a store that I would grab another one, a more expensive one.

He agreed knowing that it's the end of the world, if you really think about it. He has an endless supply of wine.

My mum and Shane had been sending me small glances now and again, she kept staring over as if she was contemplating whether or not to come over.

I'm happy she hasn't though, I would love to just slam my fist against her face. I wish Daryl was here, he's the only one I can really speak to since Andrea and Glenn are gone.

I really hope that they're okay, last time I heard from them was T-Dog from the radio sayin that they were stuck in a compartment store surrounded with walkers.

I offered to go and help but Shane being Shane told me no which led to Amy getting angry and storming off in a mood.

I was currently out in the forest now, my gun in my holster and my knife in my hand.

I had to get away from the camp, I couldn't deal with the annoyance of seeing my mum and Shane together.

I had been out here for about an hour now and to be honest, I had got myself lost, not that I cared though.

I didn't have a care for anything at all anymore, my dad's dead, the worlds come to an end, all of my friends are dead and my mums fucking Shane.

I would do anything to just feel my dad wrap his arms around me and tell me that everything will be alright.

I ran my fingers through my hair before taking a seat on a nearby grassy hill, I leaned my head back against the tree behind me and sat my hands on my clothed knees.

My black leather jacket clung to my skin from the sweat of the heat, you would think that I was stupid for wearing a leather jacket in 100°c heat.

Dale and Jim have already went through me for it aswell.

" you shouldn't wear black in this heat, it attracts the sun "

" it's 100°c! are you asking to faint? "

" take your jacket off "

But in reality, this jackets saved me more than once. When the outbreak happened I had been grabbed by two walkers and each time they tried to sink their teeth into my arm or shoulder.

Luckily their teeth couldn't get past my jacket and ever since I've kept it on unless I'm going to bed or feel safe of course.

My dad bought me it for my 18th birthday, little did we know that it would save my life.

"Shouldn't be out ere' alone" I heard a male voice say, I picked my knife up from the grass and aimed it in the direction only to see an unamused Daryl.

I sigh in relief, wiping the sweat from my forehead and shoving the knife into my belt "You scared me".

He scoffed slightly, dead rabbits were hanging in a string over his shoulder "What ya doin' out ere' , ya stupid or somethin!" He snapped, I rolled my eyes at his aggressiveness.

He was the only person that I would let snap at me considering that's just Daryl's personality, he's only worried.

"I'm alright" I assured earning a glance that told me ' yeah alright, sure ya are' .

I raised an eyebrow at him "Bet ya don't even know a way back" He commented, adjusting his crossbow comfortably over his shoulder.

I chewed the bottom of my lip awkwardly, he was right and by the way he was acting he knew that.

"Come on" He said with a small nod before sauntering down the dirt hill and over a log, I sighed but didn't hesitate before following after him.

-

"Like this" he guided me, his hands grasped onto mine as he helped me hold the crossbow.

I decided to tag along and hunt with him, he hesitantly agreed saying that I need to learn some survival skills.

I noticed a small black rabbit infront of me, it was eating something as it stared around aimlessly.

"Shoot it" He said plainly, I raised my eyebrows "I ain't shootin' no rabbit" I retorted in annoyance.

He scoffed, his hands tightening around mine as he forced me to aim the crossbow at the innocent creature.

His mouth was right beside my ear and I could feel his hot breath fan my cheek "Ya came out with me to hunt, didn't ya? So shoot".

I inhaled sharply before doing what he taught me and I let go of the arrow.

It pierced the rabbits side, I lowered the black crossbow and watched as the animal fell limp, all life leaving its eyes.

I felt a pang of guilt wash over me, I wasn't used to this, Daryl was.

The thought of killing an animal, especially during these days could almost make me cry.

I need to woman up, it's the apocalypse and I can't even kill a goddamn rabbit.

He walked by me, a satisfied look on the rednecks face as he picked it up and examined it before adding it to his string of rabbits.

He looked up into the sky and his eyes darted around the forest before landing on me.

"It's gettin' dark, should set up camp".