The Reason

In Naofumi's world, all children took a sexual education course during middle school, around the time when they start to enter puberty.

Of course, due to the content, it was a requirement to get the parents or guardian to sign a permission slip before the fact.

So, one faithful day, an innocent Naofumi, excited about becoming thirteen in a few days time, woke up and came downstairs with that very piece of paper.

He didn't know what a "sexual education" course was, but it this wasn't until next semester, so he didn't care too much.

"Dad!"

"What is it, Naofumi?" His father said distractedly, not looking up from his newspaper, drinking his coffee.

"You and Mom have to sign this. It's for school."

"Alright, let's see what-" The moment his father's eyes landed on the words on the paper, the mug of coffee he was holding fall the the ground, breaking to pieces and spilling the liquid all across the floor.

Naofumi jumped in surprise, but his father didn't look away from what his son had given him. "Oh sh-" He glanced at Naofumi "-crud."

"D-Dad?" Naofumi asked uncertainly. "Is it...something bad?"

His father cleared his throat. "W-We won't know until your mother sees it."

"Sees what?" The voice of his mother came, causing his father to jump while Naofumi just frowned in confusion.

"K-Kaede. Good morning!" Naofumi's father said, a forced smile on his face, the hand holding the permission slip trembling slightly.

Naofumi's mother, Kaede, frowned. "Good morning, Masaru." She glanced at the paper. "And what's that?"

"Uh, well, this is..." He stuttered for a moment before seeming to give up and handing the piece of paper to her.

Kaede took it and her eyes scanned over it.

She went rigid.

Naofumi blinked. "Mom?"

"K-Kaede?" Masaru tried. "Are you al-"

"No."

"Wh-What?"

"My baby is not taking this class."

"N-Now, honey, let's not be too hasty-"

"I said my baby is not taking this class."

She turned and began to walk away. Masaru cursed under his breath and hurried after her.

"Kaede, he has to learn about it eventually!"

"I SAID NO! I'M NOT HAVING MY BABY GET KNOCKED UP!"

"THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS, WOMAN!"

"I'LL TEACH HIM EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO KNOW WHEN HE'S OLDER!"

"ALL YOU'LL TELL HIM IS THAT KISSING GETS YOU PREGNANT!"

"THAT'S ALL HE NEEDS TO KNOW!"

"KAEDE!"

"I SAID NO DAMMIT!"

Naofumi blinked. "So that's how pregnancy works...

To make a long story short, Kaede burned the permission slip to nothing and Naofumi never took that sexual education class.