27. [Shadows Turn Bloody And Red]

[Song Above: Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage The Elephant]

Their day off was quiet. Kondraki spent his day framing photos at the kitchen table. Clef spent his day laying in bed, thinking.

Shadow-Clef was hovering above him, staring down at him with an unreadable look. Don't you remember things?

He did.

He remembered that his third eye had opened and his teeth went sharp when he went to execute Lily. There was this nagging feeling though. Something felt familiar but out of place.

The persona he displayed. The devil or whatever. It was fabricated to not only protect himself... but to fit a part he was supposed to play when the world came to its untimely end. He had a sneaking suspicion that that role had something to do with his shadow.

It does. Don't you remember?

Glinting fangs and an additional eye, his gun flashed in the dark. His fear dissipated and he grinned wickedly. Chains far below rattled in excitement and a door rattled, a sickly voice whispered to him and him alone.

Kill her.

A gunshot rang hollow and the woman's head burst open in a disturbing crack. A baby cried somewhere down the hall. An evil laugh echoed below.

Clef's eyes widened, an empty look crossing his face. What are you?

I'm you.

He shook his head, standing up in a haste. He raced to the bedroom door, only to find that the world had slowed. He turned back, staring at Shadow-Clef.

His reflection smiled at him innocently.
You know who I am.

What?
....
No.
No way...
This can't be happening...

Better believe it, Alto!

You made me do so many things...

Right.

You want me to kill a child?

Yup!

I- I can't— I can't do that—

He shook his head, grabbing at his hair. He turned to leave, only to have his arm grabbed in a deathly tight grip by Shadow-Clef. He stared at his reflection in panic, dreading the next words to leave the entity's mouth.

Oh, Alto, I'm afraid you don't get a choice.

Clef's world went black. Dark and cold, vast emptiness. His vision cleared but he found he was locked in a cage, bound by a pale chain. His thoughts swarmed just outside the bars, just out of reach. I'm trapped in my own mind? That means he possessed me... right?

We're gonna have so much fun!

He vaguely recognized that he was in Site 17, making radio calls. He's doing something... for attention...

Oh, you bet. I'm killing two birds with one stone. Getting my name out and eliminating rivals.

Rivals for what?

My throne! Don't play stupid, Alto!

He looked down at a sword in one hand and a gun in the other. He couldn't control anything. All he could do was hope his friends weren't stupid enough to fight him.

He didn't know it but most of his closest allies were readying themselves for a bloodbath. Including his Konny.

Please. Don't do this.
You don't have to.
We can get you attention some other way.
She's not a threat.

This is only the beginning, Alto. I'm not done with you yet, we've got benders to kill.

No!

Too late for that.

Please...

The king has finally returned!

...

The chain is weakening.
My throne is empty.
My return is imminent.
Make way for The Scarlet King.