Prologue

DECEPTION

To Kate

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Hebrews 1:14

King James’ Bible

Prologue

SILENCE. The two “women” were staring at each other with hate, as if there was another way a demon and an angel could do so. Hatred like the hate between the South and the North or like two opponent teams fighting for victory.

The demon with hooves for feet and brown skin was looking at the angel with her black eyes planning how to kill her. She was wearing a long red dress with rips all over it. Her tongue was forked, and there were four pointing horns on her head.

The angel, not being startled by the demon’s look, was smiling. She had the form of a human and was dressed like one; white skinny jeans with a blue v-neck t-shirt and all-stars. On her left hand a complex swirling scheme, a combination of combs and stripes, was carved. It was one of their special features; each angel had one of his own. It provides them strength and power when they kill demons, along with protection against them. Her eyes were a greenish blue and her hair was long, black and straight.

“What happened Aurora? Am I that good that even you can’t kill me? What can I say? I feel…” the demon stopped for a second trying to find the right word. “Blessed” she said smirking at Aurora. She scowled.

“Blessed? I didn’t know creatures like you even know what this word means and I think we both know that the part of me killing you isn’t hard for me, Deumos. It’s the four horns on your head that are creeping me out.” Deumos glared at her. “Actually from all the demons I’ve ever seen, and believe me they are a lot, you must be the ugliest” Aurora continued which made the other growl.

“You know, it felt really nice when I killed other aligerum like you but I will have real fun killing you” she said and she took a step closer.

“The same goes for me.” Deumos started running towards the enemy. Aurora threw her knife –black handle with symbols against demons and gold blade, made by Michael and soaked into Heavenly fire—, a few centimeters away. Deumos looked confused but she didn’t stop approaching. Her horns were aiming at Aurora’s chest, but Aurora wasn’t really scared. She has been through worse but this… this was something new for her.

Aurora faked a smile and when Deumos was close enough the thing that stopped her was a kick at her head. She fell down holding it, as Aurora kicked her again so she could turn. She sat on Deumos’ stomach and took the knife which was near her, as she had planned, and put it on her neck. Deumos tried to get away of her grip with no success.

“Nice knife” she pointed out looking at it.

“I know right? It’s funny how this little thing can kill you. So now, how about telling me what you and your friends down there are up to?”

“I thought you were wiser than that Aurora. It’s surprising because angels are known for their intelligence” Deumos said with confidence. Aurora pushed the blade more.

“I believe I have the upper hand right now so you’d better tell me” she threatened.

“They are searching for him obviously” Deumos said back.

“Who is him?”

“I think that you will learn that really soon. And no matter what I say you will kill me so why should I tell you?” She raised her eyebrows. Aurora sat up and so did Deumos.

“Leave” a light whisper was heard from Aurora’s mouth.

“What? Why?” Deumos asked in disbelief.

“I want you to leave and inform everyone that we are coming and they should be worried because none of us will show mercy. I will figure it out sooner or later” Aurora warned her.

“Your wish is my command” Deumos said sarcastically, doing a little theatrical bow and disappeared.

Aurora looked at the scheme on her hand, which was still a vivid gold color from the demons she had killed. There were about twenty of them, lied on the ground. To someone ordinary that’d be a lot, but they were lower class and Aurora didn’t have a major problem. The blood around her was a fade yellow and thick and the smell coming from the dead bodies was like sulfur. If they were humans, she would have to take care of the bodies, but now Aurora knew that they would vanish after some minutes.

“Did you find out what is going on?” a voice was heard from behind her. Aurora turned her head to see Raphael. He had nothing to do with the man shown in the illustrations. He was tall and the sun was reflecting to his hard characteristics. His sky blue eyes contrasted sharply against his short, pitch-black hair. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a black sweater and boots. He had a similar scheme with Aurora’s starting from the back of his neck, wrapping around his arm and ending at his wrist. If someone could see him he’d think that he’s part of some gang, and not an angel of the Lord. Aurora sighed.

“Not exactly” she replied.