CHAPTER 5: Crack Under Pressure

The temptation was too strong.

It was pulling me in; compelling me to surrender my inhibitions in the name of this uncertain, possibly fleeting feeling, whilst all I held onto was nothing but a thin thread. There was an invincible tornado spinning inside my brain, going on an endless loop of spirals; so powerful, that only his warm touch could silence.

My lips shamelessly implored for that sensation and knew exactly where to extract it from. His face appeared to me like an apparition; so rare, so phenomenal in my eyes, until my face and his were milliseconds away from colliding.

The waiting game was intimate, yet utterly painful to endure. My limbs weakened every second that passed without his lips puckering on mine. I coerced myself to resist, but the forces of nature spat on my refusal to accept the state of being vulnerable, the state of being true and inviting; with no pretensions nor remnants of fear holding me back, and they were angry.

Eventually, I gave in. We kissed hard and passionately; driven by mutual hate and forbidden love with a concealed hint of lust on both ends, ready to be set loose. My body was afloat, levitated by the magic of his touch and connection. I was caressed by the tranquil winds as they made me bend over and drop down on my knees; hopelessly drunk in love.

After long minutes of cackling and flirting with romantic silences in between, I sighted a familiar man lurking in the shadows, crouching behind the trash bins. Nathan had noticed it too, so we both agreed to confront our alleged stalker.

As the wind passed by, I got a glimpse of his hair wiggling behind. And for some reason, I knew right away that it wasn't papparazzi nor was it a homeless man creepily watching us as we kissed.

"Eric Greddon! I can see you! You know how I loathe kissing with an audience," I said.

Frightened by my shriek, he knocked the bins off, and eventually came out of hiding. He stood up, dusted off his jeans and said, "Long time no see, Nate."

"Likewise, Ric."

"I didn't mean to interrupt your steamy make-out session, but you both really need to hear this. It's urgent," he said, inserting his hands into his pocket. "Now, I advise you should at least get drunk when you listen to this, though. This sure is a lot to take in for one night," warned Eric.

Nathan's bruised hands, caused by the brawl that had happened, throbbed in pain the longer they were exposed to dust. Although it was quite obvious that he wanted to stay with me and be a part of the conversation, he was forced to go to a nearby convenience store to get some band-aids. So he left, giving Eric and I some time alone to talk.

When Nathan left, I looked at Eric with an annoyed expression. I raised my eyebrows while crossing my arms, implying to have lifted my "I don't have all day" placard on my forehead.

In the longest time that I've known him, and in the closeness our friendship had gone through all these years, I could say I know him more than he knows himself.

I found it quite strange for Eric to come to a place not ideal all by himself, despite usually being accompanied with bodyguards and chauffeurs, and claims he needed to spit out whatever it is he thought was so important after being caught off guard.

Obviously, I wasn't at all curious for what he has to say, let alone intrigued, or so I thought.

As my streak of impatience grew, Eric began to talk under pressure. "On the night of the debutante ball, we were supposed to get engaged. Your family and mine have been planning this a long time ago, even before we were born."

I couldn't help but laugh at his extremely comical premise by hitting his shoulder playfully. To me, no dots were connecting and everything he just said didn't seem to make any sense at any angle. Nonetheless, I tried to talk smart and discredit him in a manner he was interested in — intellectual discourse.