LESSON 1: Our Choices makes us who we are

At a young age, Jean has been told that she is capable of choosing what she does with her abilities

At a young age, Jean has been told that she is capable of choosing what she does with her abilities. She could use them for great things or for bad things,  but the main thing is that she is able to decide what she wants to do with it. At the beginning, Charles using a pen to demonstrate to the child about the complicated subject matter. By interacting with Jean this way, it helps to illustrate what it means to choose what she does with her powers.

We all have the ability to chose what we want and are capable of doing good things. And sometimes bad things. Jean, being just eight years old, learns from the analogy and takes it in. Charles convinces Jean that she is special a gift. How being special isn't a word to simply and kindly describe the weird or the crazy, but it's more then that. We are all gifted in some shape or form.

Charles goes on to say to Jean:

"you could choose to draw a pretty picture with that or... you could use it to poke someone's eye out... and what you choose to do with your gift  well that's entirely up to you..."

- Charles Xavier

Jean had a choice and when she is engulfed with the cosmic force, this choice to do the good thing is pushed away as the other half of her is fighting to do bad things. In the end of the story she is able to emotionally and mentally overcome her power, accepting her demons when she chose to do the noble thing.    

What makes this movie so human is that it involves hard, sometimes philosophical decisions that uses moral thinking. The choices that we make will affect our behaviour and with Dark Phoenix, the lesson I took out of this was that we can chose to be the best we can be with good or bad intentions, and it isn't just Jean that is struggle with moral decisions, every character in this movie is dealing with this struggle to chose to do that right thing. It's this chose that they must pick between the right or wrong path that makes Dark Phoenix so emotional and so deep to watch..