Chapter 1

'Troublesome' Shikamaru thought as he approached the play area for his recess nap. They were always loud and obnoxious, they couldn't shut up. They realized that ninja need silence on special missions right? He slowly made his way to the far edge of the play area and laid down under the tree closest to him. He could sense someone in the tree but he paid no mind. He knew this student, this mysterious person. He would never understand how others could judge based on the surface.

"Naruto," Shikamaru called softly. Said boy in the tree hummed in response. This was their usual interaction. "Still going to train after school?"

A soft chuckle was heard that made Shikamaru smile lazily.

"Always Shika, we need to grow strong in order to get were we need to go," Naruto said as he walked down the tree bark. As academy students they shouldn't know this yet but that's the joys of training.

Shikamaru sighed as he turned on his side, the blonde sat beside the Nara heir with a blank stare. "Today Kurama is going to show us how to unlock a special jutsu,"

"We already unlocked, earth, water, wind and fire. What else is there?" Shikamaru groaned, he was always sore when Kurama introduced a new training regiment. Naruto laughed at his friend's complaints. Despite Shikamaru always complaining about training he really pushed his all to get the work done. 

"For once I don't have the answer, shocking I know," Naruto laid beside him. The Nara always puzzled him despite them being friends for 3 years. It wasn't always like this, there was a time when they were strangers. "I still don't know why you chose to stay,"

Shikamaru gave Naruto a sad smile, when they met is wasn't under the best situations. Infact it was a bloody meet.

*Flashback*

Naruto vomited blood as he hung from the chains in the room, screaming made no difference, it was an abandoned weapons shack. No one would hear him even if someone came along the path. His vision was blurred as he fought to stay aware, they were coming back, he knew they would. They couldn't get enough of the Demon Kitsune of the Leaf. In his mindscape he was curled up in Kurama's fur as the fox worked hard to heal him, the damage was severe to the body of a 8 year old.

"I'll kill them when they come back," Kurama growled lowly, Naruto whimpered as a rib snapped back in place. It hurt everywhere, he cried into his protectors fur, but he didn't want anyone hurt. 

"Kurama no, don't," Naruto choked out as he gripped the fur as tight as he could.  Kurama nuzzled his jailors head as he passed out. It hurt to see the only kind Master he had be torn apart because of his shortcomings. It was his fault Madara controlled him, his mental state wasn't strong at the time.

"Kit if that is your wish I won't go against it, but please learn that one day you must defend yourself, if you don't I won't stand aside and watch this village tear you down," Kurama said softly as he pumped healing chakra through Naruto's veins.

On the outside a lone shinobi was following a group of laughing comrades through the woods. As soon as Shikaku saw them he knew they were trouble, They reeked of blood and is was fresh, he already knew what they were up to. The Fourth Hokage's child, they had him. He watched as they approached a abandoned weapons shack. He could sense an immense chakra flowing out of the shack. Before they could enter the shack Shikaku used his shadow possession to capture them.

"You know I always thought shinobi were to protect their own and here you are preying on a child," Shikaku sighed as he put out his cigarette. "Your all scum, scrap that you're all worse than that, he's but a child." 

"He's the demon that killed the Fourth as such we shall finish where he started,"

"He has weakened the demon for us to finish, we shall finish what he started,"

Shikaku narrowed his eyes at the two's response, he used his shadows to wrap around the necks of the four shinobi who planned to hurt the blond further. He sapped their necks without remorse whatever consequence came The Third would forgive him.

He entered the shack to see the most gruesome sight in his shinobi days. There was worse he had witness but those were adults, people who had fought and defended themselves, this...........this was child. Naruto was strung up like an animal with blood pooling out of him steadily and covered the floor. The blond's hair was matted with blood, his eyes glued shut with his own DNA. Shikaku felt rage embace his being as his shadows did his bidding, cutting the blond down and in his arms. 

"Naruto, you've endured too much, too soon," Shikaku carried him home to his family. As he approached his house that was located in the center of the clan land he saw Shikamaru feeding the deer. 

Shikamaru waved to his father only to freeze at the bundle in his arms. "Naruto........," He mumbled horrified at the state he was in. His features were muddled with dirt and blood, he ran up to his father with untamed rage in his eyes and concern in his actions as he caressed Naruto's cheeks.

"Dad please," He said quietly, Shikaku smiled at his son and gave him Naruto.

"Clean him up and meet me in the medical room, he needs to be treated," Shikamaru nodded and headed inside, Shikaku lighted another cigarette before heading to the medical room.

Shikamaru got Naruto ready before heading to the medical room, the Nara doctor was ready for the worse and began the treatment, while he worked he informed the Head and his child on the situation.

"The Tailed beast inside of him is healing him as well as myself, it's a good sign he'll make a full recovery, have you considered in making him stay over night, he needs careful monitoring."

'And I don't trust those villiagers,' The Nara's thought to themselves. Shikaku turned to his son knowing that the boy has already come to a conclusion just like him.

"I'll get a room ready for him, if I know Naruto from previous observations he'll be happy," Shikamaru smiled heading out.

Inside Naruto's mindscape he watched the scene unfold. "Kura, is this kindness?" Kurama covered his pained look with a smile. 

"Yes it is, The Nara's want to help you." Kurama said, and it was honest, he didn't sense any ill will from there auras. "Who knows maybe I can even train the young Nara,"

Naruto looked down nervously, "Do you think so?" He looked up hopefully at Kurama. "He won't reject me?"

Kurama chuckled at his nervousness, "Kit if the didn't want you they would leave you,"

Naruto smiled and continued observing a new goal set in mind. To protect his precious Nara Clan.

*End*