Chapter 10

Naruto was curious as to why Shikamaru was dragging him through the Nara forest this late at night. He does realize that tomorrow was going to be a very busy day. With all the fighting they're gonna have to do. He sighed and followed his guide. Soon they ended up at a river and Naruto gasped at it's beauty. It was so Beautiful. It glowed in the moonlight and you could see the silver fishes going with the follow.

"Naruto," Shikamaru called, Naruto looked up and was bombarded with another flash back.

It was when they were still in the academy and he had been accused of stealing.

*Flash Back*

Naruto held his head down holding back tears as Mizuki-sensei yelled harsh words at him in front of the entire staff. Why couldn't he get the same class as Shikamaru, he desperately needed a hug from him. 

"I didn't steal anything!" He shouted with frustration. He was fed up, angry and wanted to go home. Mizuki slapped him with such a force he fell back as he looked up at his teacher. That look in Mizuki's eye wasn't even human anymore. It was blinded by hatred Mizuki went to kick the blond but he was flung back by Shikaku who glared at the man in disgust. Shikamaru was by his side hugging him.

'What?' Naruto thought as he looked up at the Nara duo as tears spilled over his eyes. Shikamaru's eyes glazed over with determination and he pulled away from the blond so he could jump the Mizuki but his father stopped him.

"Dad the bastard slapped Naruto, he touched my Naruto. I'll kill him for hurting my angel." Shikamaru seethed as he fought to get out of his father's grasp but it wasn't happening. Naruto didn't really pick up on the wording but that sentence stuck with him.

'I'm not an Angel,' Naruto thought bitterly as he broke down in sobs, Shikamaru snapped out of his anger and ran back to his sunlight. He pulled Naruto close allowing him to cry in his neck. 

"Shikamaru I-I didn't steal anything," Naruto choked out as he gripped his lazy friend tighter. He didn't care if no one believed him, he just needed Shikamaru to believe him. "Please don't leave, I didn't steal anything. I swear!"

Shikamaru needed to calm the blond down, he was lucky his father was waiting on the outside for them, he asked around for Naruto and they replied he was being yelled at by Mizuki in the staff room. He called his Dad and they walked in on this. Shikamaru swore he would always protect Naruto and he nearly failed today.

"I'm sorry Naruto." Shikamaru whispered in anguish. "It's my fault I wasn't here to protect you." Naruto shook his head pulling back a little so he could speak.

"I don't need protection I just need you to stay with me. As long as you stay I can endure anything." Naruto hiccuped, he leaned back into Shikamaru.

Shikamaru tighten his hold on the blond. "I swear I'll be there every step of the way. I'll never leave even if you want me to,"

Naruto looked up into bold, determined eyes. He was amazed at the intensity of the look. 

"S-Shikamaru," Naruto said as he dried his tears. "You look different," When Naruto looked again it was that same look but mixed with concern. He fell inlove with the raven all over again just from that look.

'What is wrong with me,' Naruto wondered as Shikamaru picked him up to walk away from the trouble that was brewing between his father and Mizuki. 'He's my bestfriend,' He thought sleepily as he succumbed to the dark embrace.

When he woke up he was being held by Shikamaru who was playing Shogi by himself. It was well into the night and normally the raven would be sleeping but he was still up.

"Ne Shika go to bed," Naruto rasped, before he could choke out another sound a glass met his lips. Cool water slipped down his throat and he was grateful. 

"I was waiting for you to wake up, you know I can't sleep unless you hold my hand." Shikamaru dragged as he cleaned up the Shogi board.  Naruto closed his eyes at the stubborn Nara. 

"Your impossible," Naruto muttered he got up and dragged Shikamaru to bed. He wasn't sleepy but he'll be damned if Shikamaru falls asleep more than usual tomorrow. 

*End*

Naruto was looking into those same eyes now and they haven't changed. He laughed awkwardly. "Shikamaru you have that look like the time Mizuki slapped me. You never look that fierce,"

Shikamaru smiled. "I have something that's been bugging me. If I don't say it now I'll never say it." Naruto was becoming more frightened as Shikamaru continued looking him dead in the eye. This was too much, his heart thudded in his chest so much it almost hurt.

"Naruto," He flinched when the raven joined both their hands and came in close as they touched noses. "I love you," And he froze, was this really happening? Then as if his life flashed before his eyes, he played back every memory he had since he their lives crossed over.

"I love you too Shikamaru," Naruto said softly as tears streamed down his face. "And just that fact alone means we can't be together."

Naruto shattered with the look Shikamaru gave him. "Why," Naruto sniffled and sighed before regaining himself.

"The villagers will tear you and your clan down and you and your people are lovely I don't want to wreck that up. Second our paths should never have crossed over, if your father hadn't followed those men we wouldn't be here now. I don't want you in danger, so I don't think we should-" He was cut off by soft lips caressing his own.

'Shikamaru,' Naruto thought as he felt a weight lifted from his shoulders. He kissed back timidly, this wasn't suppose to happen but it was happening. 

"I don't care what other people think, I don't care that I might be in danger. So what if our paths shouldn't be merged they already are, I'm glad my father found you and no matter happens I'm staying by my wife." Shikamaru said against his lips before kissing the blond deeply.

Naruto flushed and grabbed the raven by his shirt, he shivered as he felt Shikamaru's togue probe his mouth. 'It feels good,' When he pulled back, the Nara hugged him.

"I love you Naruto"

"I love you Shikamaru"

********************************

They stood outside the arena they could hear the speech going on but they knew they wouldn't be in any trouble. They stared at each other one smirking the other blushing. Shikamaru took Naruto's hand.

"No matter what happens from here on in we walk together," Naruto knew he wasn't talking about the exams, he was talking about as they went through the vicious cycle called life.

"Of course," Naruto smiled and they stepped through the doors.....................Together.

****************************

A/N- Hope you liked it. I know it pales in comparison to others but this was an idea I wanted to put in writing and I say thanks to those who took the time out to read it. Thank you!!!!