10. More Than That

TEN MORE THAN THAT

TEN MORE THAN THAT

◥✥◤

Norman didn't realize how late it had gotten until they finally arrived at Kiara's family restaurant, The Wreck, and the sun had set. He must have been exhausted after the graveyard shenanigans that he slept through most of the afternoon. He had a tendency to do that when he was stressed out since the longer he was asleep, the less he had to think about the problem. He could probably sleep for a week with all the stress John B has managed to cause him in the past two days alone. He still had yet to say anything further about what he said in the car and it was revealed that he and Kiara kissed so things were going terribly. Still, he was calm and everything was fine. He wasn't going to suddenly sign his life away to stressing over John B just because of a few small interactions and the fact that he was, as Alisha said, letting himself try to figure things out. He would help out on their treasure hunt as much as John B wanted him too, but he wasn't going to risk anything for the stupid boy.

"Stealing drones makes you hungry," Kie sighed as John B stopped the van and everyone hopped out.

"Borrowing," Norman corrected with a cheeky grin, causing the girl to laugh and shake her head gently. He liked Kie, he really did. He still refused to understand how she hung out with these boys all the time, though. After two days of it, Norman was exhausted.

JJ sighed, "What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now."

"It would not be pretty," Pope countered with a scoff as they all unloaded and took a moment to catch their breath. As they entered The Wreck, the four of them stayed back while Kiara went to speak with her dad. It was evident by the man's expression that he was not happy about the Pogues standing hungry in his restaurant. After a moment, they both looked over at the group to which the four boys waved. Kiara's dad seemed to visibly relax when he saw Norman.

With a sigh, Norman took a deep breath and walked over to the pair, causally slinging an arm around Kiara's shoulders and trying to subtly cheer her up when he realized she was getting up. "Mister Carrera, if you guys can't afford to give them some free stuff then I'll happily take care of the tab. Help support the local business, you know? Kie and I can't let our friends go hungry."

"You two are friends?" her dad asked with a suspicious look on his face, "I haven't seen you coming around as much, Norman."

The boy shrugged, "Yeah, well Kie spent so long avoiding Kook Academy that it took a while for us to meet. And please, Mr. Carrera, my friends call me Rocky."

The man sighed, "Don't worry about the tab, Rocky, I've got some leftovers that were about to be tossed. You guys can have 'em."

Kie smiled, coming out from under Norman's arms to hug her dad, saying, "Thank you!"

"You're welcome," the man said with a smile, "And good to see you, Rocky, give your family my best."

"Will do, sir," he said with a mock salute as the two walked back over to the boys.