Tough

Five Years Later

Kaddian watched as Kyrrian pinned yet another one of his "best" warriors to the ground in hand to hand combat. Watching her now, you would have never guessed how frail and weak she had been all those years ago. She now had her fair share of warrior tattoos covering her body. The small tribal cuffs she had on her arms and neck were depictions of her most proud victories. That night had changed everything for both of them.

"Kyrrian, come here" Kaddian yelled. His sister delievered a quick roundhouse to the jaw of Jarren, and sent him sprawling into unconsciousness.

"Yes?" she asked, slightly out of breath as she grabbed the towel and water bottle resting on the banister.

"Your roundhouse is weak" Kaddian said.

Used to her brother's constantly emotionless face, Kyrrian knew when he was teasing and when he was serious. Turning to look backwards, she laughed dryly, "Obviously not".

They stared each other down before she cracked a smile and he unfurrowed his brow and a smile hinted at the corner of his mouth. She walked up the steps and he grabbed her close, palming the back of her head so he could kiss the top. The two walked into the house, looking every bit as twins as they were.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"I appreciate you leaving me outside, passed out" Jarren said with a mouth full of apple.

"You were fine" Kyrrian smirked, leaning casually against the counter. She wore her signature all black, pants and razor-back alike.

Kaddian continued to slice meat at the cabinet while simultaneously monitoring the vegetables in the pan on the stove.

"Kaddian, tell her that you can't just leave someone blacked out on the ground" Jarren yelled. His honey brown hair was tousled and unkempt, as per usual, and the joking slob had his feet propped up on the table.

"You should not have let her knock you out" Kaddian said, stirring the vegetables.

"See" Kyrrian added with a smirk and pushed herself off the cabinet. She walked toward Jarren, never breaking eye contact with the loud-mouthed slacker. He became visibly more nervous with each step she took.

"I'm always right" Kyrrian whispered as she took the apple from his hand and took a bite. She grabbed his legs and flipped him backwards out of his chair, then leaned down and put the apple back in his mouth.

"I'll be back" Kyrrian said, waving without turning around and going out the back door.

"Howy Sit" Jarren exhaled, removing the apple from his mouth. He stared, upside down, at the place where Kyrrian last stood before flipping over abruptly.

"How old are you two again?" Jarren asked quickly.

"She's not your mate" Kaddian said with conviction.

"I'm just saying maybe she is! How am I supposed to be sure whether someone is or isn't my mate until she's hit twenty-five?" Jarren pressed.

"Trust me, you would know. But if you want to keep your hopes high until next month, knock yourself out" Kaddian said.

"And how would you know what finding your mate is like, you don't have one" Jarren said, stupidly forgetting that Kaddian was not just his friend, but his Alpha.

Kaddian growled low in warning, giving Jarren a side look that sent shivers down Jarren's spine.

Jarren threw his hands up in surrender, and waited for Kaddian's reaction.