Lost

"When was the last time she was seen?" Alpha Scotlin asked quietly.

"Last week, she and I had a... heated... discussion in my kitchen. She ran out the door. I assumed she went home, but yesterday her parents came to me and told me they had not seen her in a week" Alpha Kaddian's grimace was the most terrifying thing Scottlin had ever witnessed, and that was saying a lot considering how his father had been.

"What were you 'discussing' that would make BB run away? She's a confrontational person" Kyrrian asked. Her tone was frustrated and angry, most of which was directed to her twin.

"She was insisting I was her mate" was his vague answer.

"And you yelled at her and she ran away? Doubtful" Kyrrian crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair, waiting for a better explanation. Kaddian gave his sister and beta a cold glare but he could see the stubborn set of her mouth and the fire of inquisition in her eyes. He knew he would have to explain further.

"She kissed me and I did not return her advances. I assume she fled in embarrassment."

Kyrrian's eyes widened and she stared at her brother for a few seconds before opening her mouth and then shutting it again.

Alpha Scottlin watched Kyrrian for a brief moment before asking, "and you have no idea where she would go?"

"No" Kaddian replied.

"Is it possible that she was taken" Scottlin began thinking outloud.

Kaddian Grayson sat silently before answering, "We've had Jarren, Lizbet, and Porter out searching for hours, but no scent has been picked up."

Kyrrian and Scottlin looked to each other before rising and exiting the room, leaving Kaddian alone in his office.

___________________________________________________________________________________

"How many days?" Sheriff Hale asked in frustrated exasperation. She hung her head down between her extended arms braced on an empty metal autopsy table.

"Nine" an undertone of sadness could be heard in Lizbet usually monotone voice. Sheriff Hale had offered to have another pathologist do the autopsy however Lizbet had insisted that she conduct the investigation on her friends body. But even now tears could be seen in the stoic woman's eyes.

"Son of a-" Sheriff Hale yelled, slamming her hands down and pushing the table. It rolled away for her and the clatter of its collision with another table filled the dead room.

"They're feeling pressured and rushed, that's why the pattern is changing" Lizbet whispered quietly.

"It has to be someone close to the Grayson's. It has to be someone who knows that they're helping me investigate" Sheriff Hale looked up into Lizbet Penner's eyes, "I'm sorry, I can no longer discuss case matters with you. The autopsy will be finished by someone else as well as all future examinations" regret to have to make this decision was dominate in her eyes.

"I understand" she replied and began gathering her items.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Kaddian Grayson was angry. More angry than he had ever been in his life. One of his Sleuthmembers was being buried at this very moment, his Sleuth was broken and in tears, his guests were fearing for their lives, and Sheriff Hale had completely eliminated his involvement in the investigation because she feared that the killers were members of one of the two Sleuths.

Dressed in solid black, he held his sister who, instead of crying, craved physical comfort to help cope. The only thing more saddening than losing Brie Bart was the fact that the Sleuth would overcome this loss and grief relatively quickly because this was the life of a Were-Bear. Loss, murder, death, destruction, heartache, grief... all of them were frequent feelings of he and his Sleuth.

He looked up to scan the crowd, looking at the faces of everyone in his Sleuth. As his gaze rolled over his close friends, Jarren, Lizbet, Porter, and their families, he considered the idea that the murderer was here, in the group, shedding fake tears and offering betraying comfort. That idea only added to his cumulating anger. Across the grave from him was Sheriff Hale and Alpha Scottlin and his Sleuth. Any one of them could be the killers as well, save Lauren Hale, or at least he had to hope she was not the killer.

When the ceremony was over, everyone began to make their way back to the Grayson house. Kaddian walked arm in arm with Kyrrian until a red-eyed Sheriff Hale sped up to place her small hand on his bicep. He stopped, searching her face for a moment before sending Kyrrian away with a gentle push forward. Kyrrian nodded and bundled herself tighter into her black cardigan and continued behind the large group.

"Yes?" Kaddian finally asked. Sheriff Hale stared up at him for a few seconds before she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his torso. The bulkiness of her coat made her feel three times bigger than she was. Slowly, Kaddian returned her hug.

"I am... so sorry" she whispered and he felt her body shake slightly, with the cold or because she was crying he did not know, but neither made him feel comfortable, "it's my duty to protect my people and I am doing a terrible job" she continued.

"It's your job to take care of the citizens in this town who can't fend for themselves. It's my job to take care of my Sleuthmates and I am failing them and you, because apparently I have made you feel like this is your fault, and it is not" Kaddian explained when Sheriff Hale took a step away. She reached up and rubbed a stray tear from her cheek.

"I-" but she seemed to be lacking for words.

"Come to the house and drink something warm, it's cold out here" Alpha Grayson offered.

"I would... love that but I can't. I can't overly fraternize with your family while I'm investigating" her tone gave Kaddian the impression that she was not happy with this fact.

"Alright" he responded, and turned, gesturing toward the house where her car was parked.

As they walked, slowly due to her clumsy nature, silence permeated the air, but it was not a uncomfortable silence by any means.

"Alpha Grayson" she started, and Kaddian looked down at her, noting her formal address, "I was wondering if you and your father had kept records on your... Sleuthmates?"

"Yes we do"

"May I have access to them?"

Normally, he would deny access to outside individuals but the extenuating circumstances gave him reason to permit her to do so.

"Yes" he answered finally.

"Thank you" was her meek response. When they reached the Grayson home, Sheriff Hale waited by the front door while Alpha Grayson retrieved the files. Everyone sat in the kitchen with steaming mugs of hot liquid while Kyrrian spoke to another individual on the phone, no doubt ordering a massive amount of food.

Jarren Redd exited the kitchen and approached the Sheriff with the intent to speak to her.

"Hi Ms. H" he said, a depressing seed in his tone, so different from his normal voice.

"Hello Jarren" she responded, glancing up the stairs where she knew Alpha Grayson would appear any second. She hoped he would hurry, she would hate to reject these saddened people.

"Why don't you come in for a mug of hot chocolate or coffee?" he lifted his mug subtly with the invite.

"She can't. She has work, Jarren" Alpha Kaddian's timbre saved Sheriff Hale from her answer. He made his way down the stairs. When Kaddian reached the pair of them, Sheriff Hale reached for the box of files, which earned her a look of disdain from the large Alpha, as if he could not believe she would think he would make her carry the box to her car.

"Whatcha got there?" Jarren asked with a furrowed brow.

Kaddian slid his gaze to the nosey cub and replied, "files", then shifted the box to open the door and held it open for Sheriff Hale to exit. He followed and when they reached her squad car, she opened the passenger door for him to place the files in the seat.

"Thank you, again" she said with earnest.

He nodded his head in answer and stepped back. Sheriff Hale stood in her spot for only a secondlonger before walking around the car and getting in. She drove off, only looking back once in the rear view mirror.