Chapter 1: Disastrous Moment

I hated sitting across from him more than anything in the entire world in that moment. It was taking everything within me from pulling out my Sig Sauer pistol and knocking that smug look off of his face. After everything Wesley Gilmore had put me through, he still held a bit of leverage over me and even though it was only for that moment, I hated it. I hated it with every fiber of my being. If he weren't about to tell me details I needed to know about the bigoted murderous network, I would've happily stood up and canceled the deal I'd worked out for his sorry ass. However, he knew things I needed to know. He knew things we all needed to know.

"It was all supplied to us by someone anonymous," he finally told me while staring into my eyes.

"I told you not to fuck with me, Wesley," I said angrily as I slammed my fists down on the table. "You tell me right now who the fuck..."

"Me and my people only met with his people and they didn't use many names. I am being one hundred percent straight with you right now, Cameron."

"Do you have a description of any of his people?"

"Yes, they were always men and they were always different men each time they met up with me and my people to exchange info or to give us products to use. These were tech guys. I sent two of them to your apartment to bug your computer that night back in Calhoun Heights."

"You said those were your guys."

"I lied."

"How the fuck am I supposed to believe you now? You could be tricking me."

"Do you think I want to die, Cameron? You're giving me an opportunity to get life in prison instead of the death penalty and you better believe me when I say I am taking that opportunity. Those were his guys."

"I need something stronger than this, Wesley. If not, then our little deal is off the table. Who is this person you're referring to? Is he the mastermind?"

"He has to be. And I know it goes deeper because I overheard three of his guys talking one night at the compound. You were right when you said this thing reaches into the government. As a matter of fact, it reaches into the same sector of government you work in."

"The FBI?"

"Yes. I heard those men specifically mention that there is a mole in the FBI and that person has a connection in the CIA as well as many other connections in the Departments of Justice and Defense. There are private sectors in those departments that are the backbone of the operation."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Yes, I knew that the government did shady things but I had no idea there were private sectors and back channels that operated without the knowledge of our superiors. Not only was I now paranoid, I had no idea who I could even trust to take this information to. Would I be believed even if I do find the right person to take the information to? The thought of yet more unknowns regarding this situation was shaking me to the core.

I stood up and began pacing back and forth before asking, "Can you think of anything else those men might have said during the conversation you eavesdropped on?"

"They mentioned something about some CEOs. Well, they referred to them as the five CEOs. I honestly don't know how it fits into anything but I distinctly remember them bringing that up during the conversation. When they noticed me standing there, they began talking in code again."

"Code?"

"Yeah, they say these random phrases to each other whenever I or my men were around. It was as if they were carefully trained to do it, too. I could never crack the code."