Chapter 11: Best Friend

"How do you know who I am?" I asked while reaching back to grab my Sig Sauer pistol. "What is going on?"

"If you pull that gun then my guys will have every right to defend this place," she told me. "I suggest you calm down and think wisely."

Letting go of my pistol, I stared into her eyes and asked, "What is this place?"

"Come with me and you'll learn all that you need to know."

Reluctantly, I followed her into her office, which was very big and exquisite. According to the plaque on her desk, her name was Francine Headley and she was the owner of the agency. She was a black woman most likely in her early-forties and had an open but serious demeanor. I was suddenly reminded of Karen for some reason, even though the two women couldn't be any more different from one another. While I was nervous, I was somewhat at ease because I still had my gun. If anyone did anything out of pocket, I was ready to end them before they could end me.

"I'm sorry," she said after a lengthy period of silence.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm sorry about Tommy."

"How do you know him?"

"It's complicated. You have to understand..."

"Well, explain it and do it fast because my patience is wearing thin."

"Oh, is it now?" She smiled as she stepped over to a large window that overlooked the city. "Nice glasses. They look expensive."

"You have no idea. Now, tell me, how do you know Tommy?"

"Tommy first came under our radar when he was in high school. He wrote an article in your school paper about gay men not being able to donate blood if they'd recently engaged in sex with other men. A guidance counselor at your school is a part of our movement and he reached out to us and explained to us how Tommy was the perfect candidate."

"Candidate? Candidate for what?"

"Agent Rowell, I need you to understand that what I am about to tell you is highly sensitive information. It cannot leave this room or you'll be putting thousands of lives at risk."

"You have my word that I won't say anything to anyone."

"Are you wearing any recording devices?"

"No."

She looked at me and asked, "How can I be sure?"

I took off my coat and lifted my shirt to show her I wasn't wearing any recording devices. I then asked her, "Should I pull down my pants?"

"No, I believe you." She made her way to her big desk and sat down. She motioned for me to sit in the chair across from her and when I did, she began, "Tommy had the potential to become anything he wanted, I'm sure you're aware of that."

"Yes. He was very gifted."

"Exactly, he was gifted. When the guidance counselor from your school told us about him, we were simply blown away. He was only in high school and had no idea how much power and magic he possessed. He had it. He was our future. He was the future."

"This is sounding like a cult and I don't like cults."

"We are not a cult, Agent Rowell. We are COWO. I am the current chairwoman of COWO but there were many before me. Changing Our World Order began not long after Harvey Milk was gunned down in San Francisco in 1978. There had to be a change and COWO has been pushing for that change ever since. Aren't you tired of it? Aren't you tired of being treated like a second-class citizen because of the way you were born? It isn't fair."