Chapter 1: New Kids on the Block

My sister and I moved to a new town about a month ago. My mom said it'd be good for us to get away from the big city and move to the suburbs but honestly I think the suburbs was the worst idea she ever had, 'course I didn't think that until after we'd already completely moved in and the realtor of our new house mentioned that our house was essentially the towns fucking murder house when we asked why people were staring so hard when we moved in. My mom didn't know what to say nor did my sister, they tried to just play off and say "oh well... we can still make it work!", because they're optimistic as hell, but because I'm realistic I asked what happened.

"Well, people in our town will talk about him so I guess it's better you hear about this from me so you know ahead of time, but a few years ago an eighteen year old boy and his family lived in this house, he was in an accident that left his body burned and stained white from the chemical that was involved in starting the fire, he snapped from the trauma and murdered his family in their home, and this was the house that it happened in." Was what the realtor said. Neither of us really knew what to say, but we ultimately chose to stay since we moved because of my moms new job, and we didn't have the time or the money to find a new place so suddenly.

That was last week. School started a few days after that conversation and my sister and I have had trouble making friends because we live in "Jeff's house". I guess Jeff was the name of the kid that went crazy and went all psycho killer on his parents and brother. Jeffery Woods, I thought. That parts been bugging me, that he killed his brother. I'd keep looking at my sister and trying to put myself in his shoes. I didn't know anything about what lead up to his psychotic break but I still couldn't imagine how it could lead to him to kill his own little brother. I'd die before I let anyone hurt Luna, and I'd kill myself before I tried to hurt her. I didn't know how someone could just do something like that, but then again I'm also not that psycho, so I guess I wouldn't understand.

"Hey E, what're you doin'?" My sister asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. I blinked and looked at her, then looked around the school cafeteria remembering where I was. My sister laughed. "Disappeared into your head again, huh big sis?" My turn to laugh.

"Yeah, guess I did. You know Lil ol' me, always in her head, coasting through life like a robot." I said while doing a robot move and crossing my eyes. Luna sat down next to me and laughed, another girl and a boy sat down across from us and I looked at them questioningly.

"Oh Echo, this is Scarlet and Jake, my first two new friends!" She said, Scarlet gave me a small awkward wave and Jake just gave me a nod.

"Sup." They said. I could tell they were uncomfortable and that the friendship that my sister thought was forming may only have been them being nice because we had no friends, though I didn't say anything because I knew my sister was going crazy only having me to talk to, most of our friends from the city didn't really talk to us much since school started and I wanted to let her have a little happiness while it was still able to be had.

"Uh, sup, names Echo." I said, taking a bite out of the shitty school pizza that was served today. Scarlet and Jake just stared at Luna and I while we ate, I sighed.

"Soo, you guys good? Look like you wanna ask us something." I said giving them a look, Luna elbowed me and gave me the "please don't weird out my new friends" look, but I didn't wanna sit here and be stared at while I ate, it's annoying and eventually makes me self concious.

"Oh, yeah sorry, um. Well actually, we did have a question," Scarlet said looking at Jake.
"Well really it's a question everyone's been wanting to know the answer to, but why did you guys move into Jeff's old house?" She said. Luna choked on her food for a second and I slapped her back a few times to help her out while I answered.