summer was a synthetic paradise

unfettered bliss and freedom that are thoroughly inexhaustible are the fruit of unreality. but they are in the white sage incense and the bittersweet aroma of white chocolate mocha that lingers in my godforsaken room of neutral tones. can't you just stay forever? i'm tired of pretending i don't miss you all the time. from the first word that left your bow-shaped lips, i knew we spoke with intonations from the same mother tongue of broken bones, hardened hearts, desolate dreams, and inflicted insecurities. i was yours before i could even tell you i understood what it meant. taken with the starlit wonder in your eyes and the mesmerising moonbeams in your smile. i was enchanted and you were the sorcerer. so captivated by you that my heartstrings laced themselves around your fingers. with them, it was like breathing for you to lure me in. but, we are circumspect creatures of trepidation prowling around in the heavy amethystine afterglow of the midsummer sun, flinching at every sound and every touch like we've been burned before. i don't want to play cat and mouse. i want velvety lips ghosting over succulent skin, but we've been chasing things out of our reach for so long, we haven't a clue what to do now that it's right in front of us and ready for the taking. vulnerability and intimacy are what we have set our hearts on, but taking that step leads into the hellish chasm of blue flames ahead, and we are scared to go that far. why are we so scared to burn?