Not Normal

Lou stared. He couldn't do anything else. The big red X glared at him, and he felt his stomach twist up. He knew running the Gauntlet was something he was not supposed to do. It was in the rule book and everything.

He felt something bubble in his chest. Pent up emotions and frustration, pressuring inside him. He felt it rise up his throat and into his mouth. All the things he wanted to say, but knew better than to do so.

he puffed out his cheeks...and laughed.

Like any of this was funny.

The other dolls stared. Just like his luck to have it revealed when every other doll was there to see it.

"You failed?"

"How could you fail?"

Oh, here we go. The moment they realize everything they've known is a lie. This would be rich. At least he wouldn't be the only one going down in flames.

"Of course I failed." he responded calmly, feeling anger rise up again. "I'll always fail! I'm a prototype!"

"Is prototype a good thing?" He fought the urge to roll his eyes as Kitty and Lydia hissed at Tuesday. Behind him, he could hear those Uglydolls whispering to each other.

"I'm the model, the mold sent by the factory to guide you through. Sounds great, right?" Nolan started to answer, but Lou cut him off before he could. "Wrong! I was never made for public consumption!"

Ox and Moxy shared a look of surprise. This was an entirely different Lou. All his anger and his actions suddenly made sense.

Moxy could feel his pain, remembering when she thought she wasn't supposed to go to the Big World. She and Ox looked at each other, sympathy for Lou clear in their features. Ox moved to go to Lou, but it was too late.

"But you could!" Lou pointed at Ox. His gaze turned to the basket of yarn. Ox swallowed. He knew Lou was about to do something drastic.

"Let's see how you feel when you're stuck here forever!" He pushed the button to close the Gauntlet, and grabbed a needle from the yarn. He charged towards the portal, running past the picture of him, with that stupid, glowing red X. He heard the shouts of the dolls around him turn to white noise. He ignored it all.

If he couldn't go to the Big World, he refused to be just another doll on the streets. He heard Ox chase after him, yelling, but those words joined the white noise in his head. All he could think was that he had to destroy that stupid portal!

He raced up the stairs, and raised the needle...

"Hey!" Something yanked him back, causing him to drop his weapon. Ox, with the others close behind, stopped cold. Tow robots had Lou by the arms, and were analyzing him with their remotes. They glanced at each other, and shook their heads.

Love and compassion were a dolls true purpose, but Lou had lost the ability to understand that long ago. He needed to be rehabilitated.

"What's going on?" Moxy stepped forward cautiously, and put a hand on Ox's shoulder. Another robot approached them, and leaned down  a little to be closer to their height. "I'm afraid we have the wrong doll." Ox's brows furrowed. "huh?"

"Lou is in the wrong place." The robot swept an arm around. "This stadium, as well as most of Perfection, is the section for Doll Type 12. Lou is Doll type 6." Mandy gasped, and there were mutters in the crowd. But the Uglydolls shared a look of confusion. Doll Type 6?

Lou felt the anger in his chest mix with panic, and he fought to be released. Instead, he was dragged out of the stadium.

"What are you doing? Let me go! I was a great leader! It's their fault! They're the ones who-!" A robot cut him off. "We have Doll Type 6 prototype, we're bringing him in for rehabilitation." Lou's face burned. "You're the ones who told me to be here!" The factory had sent him to Doll Type 12 to be the role model. They were acting like he was a runaway.

"We know. And you've proven that to be a mistake." One robot replied to him, not easing up his grip on Lou's arm. Lou watched as they left Perfection, watched it grow smaller and smaller, until he could just barely see it. Then, they took a turn, and it left his sight.

He was surrounded by color. They were crossing the bridge from Doll Type 12 to Doll Type 6.

"Lou was originally made for Doll Tye 6." A factory robot explained, deciding that, since all the dolls were here, it was the best time for a presentation. "He was defective there, so we sent him to larger doll types, such as Doll Type 9, 10, and 11. HE excelled at leading the dolls to the Big World, until Doll Type 12." Moxy held up her hand. "Wait. You let him brainwash these dolls?"

"Not necessarily." The robot replied. "How Lou does his job is his business, but he never showed any signs of violence. We believe Lou is a disturbed doll." Moxy sat back down, and Mandy put an arm around her shoulders.

"We are taking Lou back to Doll Type 6 to be rehabilitated, and maybe, he will ave a shot at the Big World." Ox let out a sigh of relief, and watched the robot leave. he turned to the others. "You hear that, gang? Lou's gonna be okay." Moxy smiled. Lou would be reformed, and would get to meet his child. he'd finally get what every doll wanted.

"I guess I can understand why Lou did all that." Moxy sighed, smiling sadly. "it's really hard knowing you're the only person  in the doll world who can't have a kid."

Mandy put her hands on Ox's shoulders. "You guys don't understand. Doll Type 6 is like a punishment." Ox tipped his head. "Didn't that robot guy say Lou was originally Doll Type 6?"

"Yes...but Doll Type 6 is..."

"A BABY DOLL?!" Lou cried out, struggling harder to be released. The buildings around him were colorful, and full of cheer. Everything was, from the sky to the streets. Doll Type 6 was made up of baby dolls, and therefore, their section of the doll world was made to look like a giant nursery.

"You'll have to go through the factory again first." The robots dragged Lou towards a little house by the border of Doll Type 6's section, and tossed him in. Lou cried out, and yelled, but it was too late.

His punishment was beginning.