A quiet revelation

Thousands of years ago,  there was a simmering feud between the two most powerful gods of the divine realm. In the beginning, Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, gods of the sun and moon respectively, were married. They may have been siblings, but they shared the same sky, and spent every hour together, so it only made sense for them to unite in marriage.

Eventually, they became estranged after Tsukuyomi killed the food goddess, Uke Mochi, in disgust. Amaterasu left him, and day and night became separated, never again to share the sky at the same time.

Fast forward many centuries,  there was a Great War between the gods. The reason it started was something positively inane, to be sure. It does not really matter, but many were injured greatly as a result from this war.

Daikoku was a large cause of this suffering as he took away the good fortune he gave and caused everyone to become greatly unfortunate. This affected not only the humans of the mortal realm, but the gods as well on a monumentous scale.

So, in order to fight this injustice, the strongest gods of the divine realm, Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, teamed up despite their grievances. They fought for many days and nights with Daikoku, but the battle was still undecided.

The sun and moon gods, unable to defeat him because of their bad luck, decided to combat this with an ultimate trump card. They made the greatest sacrifice, to give up their divine forms and powers in order to combine into one; an ultra powerful entity so perfectly balanced that it was unable to be affected by bad luck.

After they defeated Daikoku, and new gods for their stations were born, the energy and power had nowhere to go. The gods were no longer truly sentient, so they floated down aimlessly into the mortal realm, and settled into an empty grimoire. Whoever has possessed this power in the past has become either the greatest hero, or the greatest enemy. No one knows what this grimoire looks like, and it's abilities are legend.

The grimoire is only known as the gods' yin yang, stemming from its brilliant hot black fire and freezing white flame.

***

Time Skip : Two Years Later

A cave deep in the spade kingdom mountain range.

I stood up from the dying fire, preparing to finally head home. I had been camped in this cave for two years, learning to control my powerful magic. I had quickly learned why the people who have had this grimoire are either ego-centric megalomaniacs, or cold, ruthless, social deviants.

The abilities of this magic are insanely powerful indeed, but the person wielding them must be pure of heart, balanced in mind, and neutral in body in order to mediate these two powers. They contradict each other so vehemently, that one side tries to constantly overtake the other, hence causing an unbalanced person to become brighter than the sun or colder than the moon.

In the beginning of my training, I failed to grasp the reality, that I would have to give up parts of myself in order to protect the people around me. I forced myself to become introverted and reflective,  controlling my emotions while still feeling the entire extent of them.

Another thing that has aided me in being the balance of the yin and yang, is a life of non-religious asceticism. This means that I live a life where I do not take more than I need, never overindulging. That is why, despite having enough gold to buy a mansion in my travel bag, I choose to dwell in a cave situated on a rock outcropping deep in the mountains.

I hunt for my food and live a simple life, meditating, excersising, and practicing my magic everyday for the past two years.

I have  changed greatly physically, growing from a child into a young woman. I have grown even taller, stacking two more inches onto my fifteen year-old self, making me five-foot ten. I have filled out and look more mature as well. I also have many scars from learning to wield a blade and my magic.