Chapter Eight: Extra Ordinary

I felt Elvira's eyes pinned on me as I tried my best not to gallop away from her weird castle house like a frightened gazelle

I felt Elvira's eyes pinned on me as I tried my best not to gallop away from her weird castle house like a frightened gazelle. I thought to myself, 'Sabra, remain calm. Don't turn around, because you'll probably just see her standing at the doorway staring at you and that'll only make everything even weirder'.

I took a peek over my shoulder at the Solstice castle once I was far enough away for me to feel somewhat safe. When its giant front door was the size of my pinky nail. Who the heck built a castle in the middle of a suburban town anyway?

"Mrs. Zivai!"

I jolted violently as if a bolt lightning had dropped out of the sky and onto my head. "Jesus!" I cried, turning away from the creepy castle and to see who decided to ruin my life by sneaking up on me.

It was Officer Fauker. Of course it was Officer Fauker. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. See anything suspicious?"

"I-I don't know." I replied. I saw a lot of things in that house. The memory of which I would like to dump into a recycling bin...then launch said bin into the Sun.

"Well, did you smell anything sweet? Decomposing bodies usually smell sweet."

I guffawed at him, dozens of shivers trembling down my spine all at once. Sweet? What the hell is sweet meant to smell like? "I-It reeked of incense and candles in there. That's about it."

"Hmm," Fauker hummed, rubbing his hairy chin in deep thought. "Could be trying to mask the odour. What else? Did you find any remains?"

"W-What?" I stuttered in disbelief.

Fauker adjusted his cap. "You know, blood, bones, organs, flesh--"

"I know what remains are! I-I just didn't know you wanted me snooping around for body parts!"

"There's a reason the press calls our killer 'The Glutton'. The bodies are usually...incomplete when we find them."

Oh Lord. My lip quivered. "As in...he eats them?"

"We aren't entirely sure. Trust the papers to start running baloney like that, right?"

I shook my head, trying not to visualise his words. "Wouldn't it be...I don't know, incredibly stupid of them to keep that stuff out where I could see it?"

"Well, it is in my experience, an indisputable fact that cannibals are incredibly stupid."

I didn't want to know about his experience with cannibals. I didn't want anything to do with cannibals at all. "No, I didn't see any bits... Wait, they had a shrunken head in their living room."

"A shrunken head?" Fauker stroked his beard again, giving it a weird shape. Like an upside down triangle. "Surely that couldn't have been real."

"That's what I said, but what if it is?"