23

Breakfast with all of the boys had been eventful. My brothers claimed the seats on either side of me, which had made more than one of my newfound friends pout. But to my dismay, after breakfast my brother's had to leave. They'd apparently been around for the past two days, and needed to get home.

They promised not to let our shared mother know anything until we could have the family meeting and explain everything we knew. When they left I made sure to hug them both, and I tried not to be too sad watching them go.

It was weird, knowing them for such short time and already caring about them in a way I didn't know I was capable of.

It wasn't how long you'd known someone that dictated how you felt for them.

I'd known my father my whole life, and even before everything that had happened recently, I couldn't see myself hugging him, or even being close enough to hug. All I could picture myself doing around him was cowering.

Some of the guys needed to make appearances at home as well. I thought about asking Kota to tell me how Marie was doing, but every time I got close, I chickened out. But before they all tried to leave, Kota called for an impromptu family meeting so that everyone could be on the same page.

They'd all gotten caught up to my situation while I'd been asleep, but there were still some things to discuss. Somehow, I got sat next to Mr. Blackbourne and Silas, who was still gloating over Nathan that he'd won their competition.

Silas grinned at me as everyone was getting seated.

"Hello Aggele, did you sleep good?"

I grinned slightly, wanting to correct his grammar but not having the heart.

"Like a baby," I responded.

He laughed, "no, like an aggele."

We didn't get the chance to talk more because Mr. Blackbourne cleared his throat and began speaking loud enough for everyone in the living room to hear.

"Miss Sorenson has several engagements to attend tomorrow. In the morning she's to go to the Academy hospital and get a work up, it'll be covered under the ghost program. After that she has the choice of attending her mother, Mareena's funeral service. We've scheduled the meeting with her mom, Lia, to happen after the services are over in the event that she chooses to attend," he paused here and looked to me.

"You don't have to decide, right now, either. You can wait til the funeral has two seconds left and decide to go and it'll be okay," this came from Nathan, who was watching me from across the room.

He looked concerned. They all did.

I nodded at him, letting him know I understood his words, even as I spoke.

"I think I want to go."

Nobody let any adverse emotions show on their faces. They all looked as if to some extent, they either understood, or had expected this of me. I felt like either answer I'd given them, they would have supported.

"As long as I don't have to go alone," I amended.

Gabriel straightened in his seat, looking me dead in the eye, "you know I'm there, Trouble."

There were a few others who also vowed to come with if I needed it. Their support made me feel relaxed, and Mr. Blackbourne waved a hand at them as they started to get talkative.

"Anyone who wishes to accompany our bird to the funeral is allowed, though I am restricting the meeting with Lia Storsen to myself, Doctor Green, Mr. Lee, and Mr. Coleman. And Sang of course. The Storsen boys will also be there, and I'm sure the sight of Sang alone will be enough of a shock, we don't need to overwhelm her. In addition, Sang has requested to be allowed a meeting with her father. She believes she might be able to rile him up enough on principle that he might give us more information."