Prologue

I braced myself to see Ricky get punched in the face.

Alexander had accosted him in the corridor and Ricky carefully thrusted me aside as if to remove me from the hostility of the interaction.

"You're a snake," Alexander growled.

"Alex, it's not like that. I have real feelings for her."

"Shut up!" 

Alexander jerked himself forward, but Ricky didn't even flinch.

"What are you going to do, Alex? Punch me? Go ahead, punch me," Ricky raised his arms to the side.

"I should. You deserve it." 

"Then what are you waiting for?" Ricky challenged. "I'm open."

"Ricky, stop!" I reprimanded, knowing very well what Alexander was capable of. What was scarier was that I knew what Ricky was capable of, too. I wasn't going to stand around and let there be bloodshed by the two most important guys in my life. "That's enough, both of you." 

Alexander's face was cold as stone as he turned to me and said, "Ricky doesn't want a girlfriend. He's been using you."

"That's not true," Ricky protested loudly. "I didn't want one before her. She's different."

"What's so different about Anastasia? The one girl you couldn't have! Was this some revenge against me?"

My heart was beating through my chest. Was that my appeal to him? 

That I was off-limits?