Chapter 11

My mom's one rule for me and Alexander has always been that we have to spend New Year's Eve with family. Every year, Alexander misses out on a party with his friends because of this rule, and this year was no exception. This time, however, Alexander didn't seem to mind. There were no complaints from him, and no constant checking his phone to open up Snapchat and Instagram to heighten his incessant FOMO. Instead, the three of us enjoyed a variety of snacks from salt and vinegar chips to sour patch kids, as we watched the New York City countdown performances. My mom and I guffawed with laughter as Alexander used the remote controller as a pretend microphone and mimicked Ryan Seacrest's every word into the television cameras.

I knew from recalling past years that Ricky had always spent New Year's Eve with his friends, but I gathered up the nerve to text him anyways and ask if he wanted to come over.

Ricky: I'm actually spending it with my parents this year

Both boys happily spending a weekend night with their families, instead of their friends? I wondered if Ricky and Alexander were anxious for the future; or nostalgic for a past that hadn't quite left yet.

Anastasia: No problem, have a happy new year :) 

Ricky: I'll think of you at midnight. I would give anything to be able to kiss you.

A new semester at Davenport High had begun, and a new roster of classes commenced. Robin and I didn't have a single class together, so we dedicated a lunch period to annoying the living daylights out of our guidance counsellor. Halfway through Robin's persuasive recitation of why she would have a class together, Miss. Milschinsky's eyes grew heavier with disinterest. I secretly questioned what made her decide to be a guidance counsellor. Looking at her expression then made me then wonder if she had any regrets in said career choice.   

After our spiel came to an end, we wound up sharing first period math with Mr. Abdulsayed. Robin tried to protest, that, no, that class wasn't fun enough for best friends and that we wouldn't be able to enjoy our time together, but I kicked her hard under the desk.

"That's perfect," I said, forcing a grin and knowing better than to push our luck with the infamously stern guidance counsellor.

"Yeah, perfect," Robin said through gritted teeth.

A pleasant addition to my second semester was that I had a class with Jonathan Orbillo. Jonathan had practically saved my life when it came to our biology exam by allowing me to use his notes to help me study. He was also my partner in our rat dissection unit and was a diligent and patient partner, despite my obvious repulsion by the dissection process.

The class we had together was Introduction to Sociology. Our teacher, Mrs. Yellen, began the course by asking us what the words: norms, values, and roles, meant. We all provided our arbitrary definitions, and then she posted her formal definitions on the board:

Norm: Expectations about how people should behave.
Value: Shared ideas and standards that are considered acceptable, valuable, or binding.
Role: The expected behaviour of a person or a group in a particular social position.

"Now, why do norms matter?" Mrs. Yellen asked.

Jonathan's hand raised. "Because they guide our behaviour, and if we don't abide by them, we can be punished. It's like how we use laws to keep a peaceful society and avoid anarchy."

I was impressed by his answer and gave him an approving eyebrow raise, to which he smiled shyly.

"That's right," Mrs. Yellen agreed. "Norms allow us to feel safe."