Chapter 14

Look at my picture I drew... ith a dinothaur called a tee-ran-ah-thore-uth-REKTH!

Wow, that's so cool, Adam! Is it for Ricky?

No, I alweady gave Wicky one of a velothiraptor! Ith for you, Anna!

*

It was 4 a.m., and there were tears streaming down my face as I held little Adam's drawing in my hands. My drawers had been completely emptied, papers and knickknacks scattered on the floor. Behind me, Robin was lying in my bed in a deep sleep, snoring softly. I couldn't sleep no matter how hard I tried so I took upon rummaging through my room, observing everything I could get my hands on. I was more like my mom than I thought; I must have been a sentimental type if I had kept all of these things for so many years. I quickly tossed aside anything that reminded me of a dad: a bracelet he had bought for me during a family vacation in Jamaica, a little card with a poem written in Greek from my grandmother on my dad's side before she passed away, even a polaroid picture of me and him standing in front of Niagara Falls. I discarded them before I could take a second look, as if they were worthless to me.

But Adam's drawing wretched my heart. I couldn't look away; the squiggly scratches and the rough green marker pressed so hard onto the page that it had left blotches. It was perfect. He was such a sweet and kind-hearted boy. Dark hair like Ricky, but instead of Ricky's hazel eyes, Adam's eyes were a bright shade of green. He loved dinosaurs, it was all he could ever talk about, second only to outer space. Adam was the only person who could call me Anna and I wouldn't care. Maybe I had reserved the nickname for only him. 

I guess it's easier to forget the things that have hurt us than allow our thoughts to run away with them and make us sad - but I didn't want to forget Adam anymore. 

Robin stirred awake at around 7 a.m. I had just finished stuffing my items back into boxes that I was placing neatly in my drawers. My mom was already furious with me, I didn't need to feel her wrath about the mess in my room, too. I had left one item out, though. I took Adam's drawing and pinned it to the bulletin board above my dresser.

"Anastasia," she mumbled.

I walked over to her and rested my hand on her forehead. "Do you want a glass of water?"

She nodded feebly.

I had already taken off most of her makeup with a makeup wipe when I first put her to bed. Not before listening to her half-conscious protests about how makeup wipes are bad for your skin, as some YouTube guru had once informed her. "Well it's the best you've got right now," I told her as I continued to scrub. I had also used her phone to text her mom and say she was sleeping at my place to cover her bases. It was more consideration than my mom had gotten.

After I had gotten her water, I slid back into the bed beside her.

"What even happened last night?" she asked groggily.

Where to even begin...

Well, let's start with this.

"You cried. A lot."

She frowned. "I remember that part. What happened before then?"

I chose to refrain from telling her about her slurred words and clumsy footing that caused a few chuckles, and instead opted for a positive aspect of the night. "Well, a bunch of really cute seniors watched you chug a drink and they looked super into it."

Despite her weak state, the corners of her mouth turned upward. "Nice."

"Also..." I began cautiously. "Rex took you outside to get some fresh air."