Chapter 4 - Nicole

I sighed as I lazily at the open window beside me. There were students walking around and about the campus, most of them heading to their first class of the day while some, those adventurous ones, trying to get away to skip their classes.

I sighed again and laid down on my bed, covering half of my body with my blanket. I wish I had the energy to go out and be like them, those who are going to class, I mean, but I just couldn't. I don't have the willpower to even stand up.

I heard someone lightly knock thrice on the door.

"Come in," I called.

The door swung open to reveal the slim but well-built figure of Charles. In his grasp were two plastic bags full of food, from the convenience store by the looks of it. He also had a half-bitten sandwich stuffed in his mouth.

"Hmm ummph!" he said, his voice muffled by the food in his mouth. "Mmhmm mmph!"

I slightly chuckled. "I didn't understand a word you just said."

He placed down the bags on a table then took the sandwich out of his mouth.

"I said good morning!" he repeated. "How are you doing?"

"Yeah, fine. Nothing new," I answered, shrugging. I searched behind him. "Where's Michael?"

"He has class right now," he said. "I swear that guy has a problem waking up on his alarm."

"And you? Don't you have class too?"

"Nah." He waved his hand dismissively. "I'm free until lunch. Prof's out for some sick leave or something."

"Lucky you," I mumbled.

"Speaking of which. . . When are you planning to go back to class? Your professors have been asking me and Michael about your absence."

I turned away. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"Is this about Diana again?" he asked, which made me flinch. "Nic, it's been- what, two, three weeks? Look at you. Getting little to no sunlight or fresh air, and you don't even eat properly. Everyone's worried about you, Nicole. Michael and I are worried about you."

I ignored his last words. "Did they find already her?" I asked, looking back at him.

Charles shook his head in dismay. "No, but the police are still searching."

"It's been two weeks and they didn't still find any trace of her," I said. "How is that even possible?"

Charles shrugged half-heartedly. "I don't know. It's, like, she didn't even exist."

Ever since Diana disappeared, the police had been looking for her everywhere. They tried tracing her phone, but they couldn't because the phone was turned off. They looked at the CCTV footage of the mall for a sign of what might've happened to her, but there wasn't a single video of Diana going to the bathroom or anywhere else after she left me.

They also have interrogated everyone who might have seen her, including me. I couldn't answer any of their questions, not out of ignorance, but because I. . . felt horrible.

I feel sick in the stomach that my best friend is missing.

Missing because of me.

I hung my head low. "This is all my fault," I muttered for the last time.

"No, Nicole. It's not," Charles said.

I looked at him in the eye. "Don't you see? If I just went to the bathroom with her at that time, none of this would have happened. In fact, Diana would still be here and everything would be normal. I would feel normal and not spend nights dreaming of her blaming me for what happened to her!" I sobbed, tears streaming down my face.