The Flying Kipper

The first impression that Harry got of the new structure was that he wasn't very impressed with it at all. He ambled up to his father's side with his nose scrunched in an expression of derision.

"Is this it?" Harry asked, dismissively.

"Almost. I just have to add a few final touches," James replied.

Then he drew his wand.

"Dad! What are you doing?!" Harry shrieked. "You know you can't do you-know-what down here! The Muggles will find out and come and get you!"

"Relax, Harry, we've got that covered," Lily soothed as she came up on Harry's shoulder with a cup of tea in hand. "We've told the Muggles that we are conducting an experiment here today, setting up what they call a Zero-Point Energy Field to test how it negates the effect of Rusakov Particles."

"Yes. Essentially we've told them that we are going to use a bit of magic to see if we can stop or diminish it using the Field," James added in a deep growl.

"But you aren't going to do that ... are you?" Harry asked in a small voice.

"Of course not," Lily replied, brightly. "But it provides handy cover for your Dad. He never was much for DIY."

Lily winked teasingly at James who simply shrugged in response. There was no arguing against the truth, after all.

"Alright. But now explain this to me ... why are you building an owl coop in the garden? I thought you said you were making a way to communicate with me for when I go to the surface?"

"I am," James grinned. "And this is it."

"And owl coop?" Harry asked, doubtingly.

"Exactly."

"Not a digital communications array? Not a massive parabolic dish? Not a good, old fashioned telegraph pole?"

"Nope. Just an owl coop."

Harry blinked in his scepticism. "Mum? Can you explain this, or had Dad finally become a Muggle who's lost his wump?"

Lily looked over fondly. "Owls are one of the major forms of communication in the Magical World. Your father has built a twin coop on the surface so that any owl post delivered there will be immediately transferred to this coop by magic. That way we can stay easily in touch with you."

"But wont the Muggles notice that?"

"The magic is fairly low intensity," James explained. "We are confident that it will go unnoticed by our Muggle friends. In any case, we've decided that it's worth the risk to be able to stay in contact with you."

"Well, if you're sure," Harry muttered, slightly anxious at the peril his parents were putting themselves into for him. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just stand back and watch," James replied, smugly. He drew his wand once more, turning it to the roof of the owl coop that was at his feet, the large wooden dome being the last component to be added. Before he cast the spell to levitate it into place, he called over to Harry.

"Now, son, do you remember the wand movement I told you for this spell?" James queried. "It's the Levitation Charm."

"Yes, Dad," Harry replied with a child-like grin of zeal. "Swish and flick."

"And the incantation?"

"Wingardium Leviosa," Harry returned proudly.

"That's almost right," Lily corrected. "But remember, perfect pronunciation is key to effective spell casting. You have to elongate the 'gar' part of Win-gar-dium. Make it nice and long when you say it. And put the stress on the 'o' in 'Leviosa'. It's pronounced levi-O-sa, not levi-o-SAAAA. Try it again."