Chapter 9

A violent whirlwind of emotion is running havoc inside my head; anger at Mum for lying; devastated and upset with my father for running away and not caring about his family. Feeling angry. Feeling lost. Feeling unloved. As it all became too much, I collapse on a bed of leaves and weep a river of tears. After a minute has gone by of hysterical crying, I wipe my eyes and hear a rustle in the trees above me. I look up just in time to see him jump out from the tree nearby and land right beside me, causing me to shoot out a spark of fire at him.

“Ow!” Dylan yelps nursing his sore, burnt arm.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“You didn’t have to burn me!” He complains making me laugh.

“What can I say, it’s fun!”

He gives me a pointed look. “At least you’re smiling now, what was wrong?”

“I confronted Mum and it didn’t really end in hugs and kisses.”

“Ah.” He replies.

“Yeah…anyway, what are you doing here?” I ask.

“I’m here to convince you to come with me. Don’t you want to meet others of your own kind? Do you want to be where you belong? Do you want to see your powers bloom?” He persuades.

Then come on down to Light Potent Kingdom, where we care for your every needs!” I say enthusiastically, impersonating a promoting salesman. Whilst I chuckle at my own joke, Dylan however doesn’t find it amusing.  “I’m being serious, you know?”

“I know, but no thanks. I can’t leave Isabelle, Mum and Grandad behind.”

“Oh, come on don’t tell me you’re not even tempted?”

“Of course I am, but unlike my father, I’m loyal to my family and friends so the answer’s still, NO.” Leaving no room for further debate, I get up and leave Dylan alone on the forest floor.