Partners

As the bell rang, Simon slung his bag over his back, and said goodbye to Freya and Talia.

He walked into science and flopped down on a seat at the back.

Then the teacher walked in, setting her equipment down.

"Alright class, before we start today's lesson, I've got an announcement about this weeks homework. It will be a PowerPoint or paper presentation. You have to explain how the body defends itself against disease and germs. Please try to be as detailed as you can, as these sort of questions can easily be worth up to 6 marks in your exam!"
She said, the rest of the class groaning.

"Oh, I forgot to mention it is a partner project. I will give you a few minutes to get into pairs."

Unlike the rest of the class, this was the bit that made Simon groan.

Freya and Talia weren't in his science class and Simon already saw Vik advancing towards a boy In his friend group. If Simon's memory serves him right... his name was Tobi. So that left him with no-one to do the assignment with.

"Oi Minter! Want to be partners?"
A familiar, obnoxious voice asked cockily.

Simon didn't even need to look next to him to know who it was. He'd already been partners with him last term, in the summer, and the experience wasn't great.

"Erm, don't you have anyone better to be partners with?"
Simon asked JJ, not really wanting to be his partner.

He was friends with basically everyone in the school, so why would he ask Simon? Probably the same reason as last time.

"I do, but I want to get to know you better."

Simon frowned frowned at his comment.

"No, sorry, not like other people are better that you, I just want to get to know you."
JJ chuckled, sitting on the stool next to him.

Simon looked around the class, seeing that everyone else was already partnered up.

"Sure, whatever."
He reluctantly agreed.

JJ probably just wanted someone who would do all the work without complaining again.

Well, as much as he hated it, JJ found the right guy.

"So, am I going to your house or are you coming to mine?"
JJ asked casually.

What? What's that supposed to mean?

JJ chuckled at Simon's confused expression and explained further.

"Are we gonna work on the project at my house or yours? Like, today after school."
JJ asked.

"It's fine JJ, I'll do it all."
Simon replied, whilst taking notes of what the teacher was saying.

"No, I don't want that. I want it to be fair, 50, 50."
He replied truthfully.

Now that was shocker.
Simon stopped writing and turned to look at him.

"Why? No offence, but the last time I worked with you, you didn't want to do any work at all."
He recalled.

"Yeah... New term, new me."
JJ laughed, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"I'll go to yours then."
Simon asked, mainly because he didn't buy the fact he actually wanted to help.

"Sure."
JJ shrugged.

Simon turned back to the teacher, coping down the information on the board.

This probably wasn't going to go well.