Chapter 20: Becoming Lady Surry

I didn't know what to say. I was too surprised to say anything. Lord Surry was the husband in prospect for me. How could he even do that? He had threatened me. He was the devil's messenger and I had done his dirty work. Now, he wanted to marry me. How did all of this come together?

"Elizabeth," Henry asked. "Do you accept Lord Surry as your husband?"

"Of course, I do," I said and curtsied towards Lord Surry. "I will be honored to be your wife."

Henry gave my hand to Lord Surry and he kissed it. He didn't smile or look happy. Maybe it had been Henry's idea for me to marry him. Lord Surry would never agree to such a marriage on his own. Maybe I was only made Marquess of Pembroke because Lord Surry only wanted to marry me if he got something in return such as land or a new title. By marriage to me he would now both get Pembroke Castle and the title of Marquess.

"The marriage will take place the day after tomorrow," Henry announced. "And the happy couple will dance the first dance at this year's Queen's Ball."

Lord Surry led me to the dance floor. The music started. The first few steps were taken. I had so many questions to ask this man, but this wasn't the place nor the time for such things. As the dance and ball proceeded, Henry had me know that Queen Jane wanted to help me make my wedding preparations for my big day. I had thanked him from the heart. Jane was a kindhearted woman, and the King didn't even know how lucky he was to have such a wife.

The ball was a success but for me, I wished I had never sought the King's love or carnal lusts. I have gained some very fine skills both in Latin, reading and writing. I had finally got a good education, but the consequences weren't to bear. I couldn't marry Lord Surry. He had made me kill so many people at this court and now is was bound to be here forever, in the higher society where the wives of the killed men were still walking among all the others. For the rest of my life I was to look into their eyes and know I stole their good name, their status and luxury.

That night I was awake hour after hour, sitting in the open window. Starring into the night. The cold air was like a light breeze upon my bare skin. My life was to be a miserable one. I would have status and money – things I had spent most of my life dreaming about, but now that I was going to have much of both I wasn't happy for the way I got there. Being a killer was a thing I had live with for the rest of my life. I was my burden. My punishment for desiring more than I was ever required to have. I got too thirsty for the love of the King.

The whole day was quiet. I didn't speak much. Margaret asked me questions all the time. She knew she and I wasn't going to be together anymore, since I was to be the wife of a great and powerful man. She wanted to make most of the time we had left, whereas I just wanted peace to pray for a happy future.

As the sun went down and I crept into the bed for the last time alone, I was almost having a panic attack. In just twelve hours I would no longer me mistress Webb, but Lady Surry.

The Queen was ready for me in the morning. I had just entered her room. She had a dress laid out on the bed. I was the diamond dress, the one which looked like sprinkled stardust. She smiled sweetly.

"Elizabeth," she said. "I know you love the King. I know about the relation between the two of you. Henry is very fond of you and it makes him said to give you to another man."

I turned and faced her for the first time as my almost equal.

"How can you kjust accept his behavior?" I asked. "All the affair with other women."

"Because that's how it is to be Queen."

"I could never bear such a thing."

"You will have too," Jane said. "Lord Surry will also have mistresses. Just make sure to bear him a son and your position will be safe for the rest of your life."

"But I don't want a safe and sound life," I said. "All I want is love and a faithful husband."

"No man is faithful unless he can't afford anything else."

I shook my head and began to cry.

"I can't do this," I said with a trebling voice. "I don't want power or money. I just want everything to be as it was."

"But the wheel of fortune is always changing," Jane said. "Being married as a woman is better than being a spinster. At least you will have children and better comfort."

"Do you love the King, Jane?" I asked. "Even though he is treating you beneath or dignity?"

"Of course," she said. "He's my sovereign Lord."

"No, I mean – do you love him as a woman loves a man?"

"I do love him, but of course every woman would like her husband to look only at her, nobody else. But I can't change anything about it and it is better to make the best of the situation."

I nodded. Jane stepped to the side and pulled the dress from the bed.

"I want you to have the dress you made. I want you wear it at your own wedding and keep it as a good memory from an understanding woman to another."

"Thank you, your Majesty. It's too much."

"No, it's just perfect."

As I got dressed, the clock was ticking, and it was time for the ceremony at the church. Henry waited for me at the door and led me down the aisle. As we reached Lord Surry at the altar, he turned to me and kissed my hand before giving it to Lord Surry; just like he had done at the ball.

The ceremony went by fast. As I rose from receiving the blessing from the father and signing the marriage contract, I took Lord Surry's hand. I was no longer a little girl. I was a grown woman. A married woman. As I proceeded down the aisle with Lord Surry at my side, he leaned in and whispered in my ear.

"I know your secret," he said. "I know you have killed seven men. I can have your head any time."

A chill went down my spine. He was already threatening me. I had to seem unaffected. He had to know I was now I charge. Not him. He might be the man, but I had the upper hand.

"And I know your secret," I whispered back. "I killed those men on your command. I have your letters and your dagger. I too can have your head served for the King at any time."

He was never to have my head; I knew his own would be served beside it if he tried. Maybe this marriage wasn't going to be so bad after all. But one thing I hadn't taken care of yet was the fact, I was pregnant with Henry's child. No one could find out. Henry's and mine affair had been a secret this whole time and I would probably be called a whore if someone were to find out. My primary goal was to get Lord Surry on top of me this very night and making the act happen. Hopefully, it would never be discovered when the child came, that it wasn't his, but the King's.

THE END

Word count: 1317 words.

Total word count: 23177 words.