13: Dying

"I have lived eighty years of life and know nothing for it, but to be resigned and tell myself that flies are born to be eaten by spiders and man to be devoured by sorrow." - Voltaire, French writer and historian.

-One year ago-

It's the first day of school and Maggie's first day as a grade seven on the bus. I can tell she's nervous. She loops her arm through mine and keeps her head down, staring at the seat in front of us as the bus drives over a bump.

"I hate people," she says. We never have anybody over, our own mom doesn't seem to like us, and she has no friends because she's shy and kids are assholes - of course she hates people.

"Me too," I admit. They're mean, unintelligent, and travel in packs. The real question is: who would like them?

"Do you think I'll make friends?" She asks.

I doubt it given I know everyone that goes here and they fucking suck, but I guess there could be some new grade seven that's overly nice and tries to be her friend.

"Of course," I lie.

I don't think she'll make a lot of friends if any, but if anyone lays a finger on her they're dead. I'll get Dallas to beat them up and I'll finish them off when they're weak and can't fight me off.

Speaking of Dallas he just got in the seat ahead of us.

"Hey Mags," he said enthusiastically, "Are you excited for your first day?"

"Not really," she shakes her head. I internally groan at her honestly. Honesty and bluntness gets you nowhere at our age, she has to lie and say she can't wait for the day to start - fake it til' you make it.

"I bet you'll do fine," he assures her. "Besides, in a few years Wyatt, Easton, and Jack will be here and you can hang out with them."

A few years until she actually has friends doesn't sound very encouraging to boost her spirits. He's horrible at this.

"I just don't want to be here," she sighs. Her attitude is horrible and I don't see how she'll ever make it through elementary school.

"Nobody does," I shrug, trying to make this seem normal. It's not normal, though, because her absolute hatred and fear of other people goes beyond normal and she most likely needs therapy.

I guess everyone could use therapy, though, so it's not like she's alone.

"I want us all to go home," she fidgets in her spot. "We can go to Dallas's and be homeschooled."

"I'm sure his mom would love to homeschool kids that aren't even hers," I joke. April is great and loves us like we're her own but dropped out of high school in grade ten to have Dallas. I'm sure she'd rather have another set of triplets than try to teach us calculus.

"You'll be okay," I promise. "I'm sure nothing bad will happen."

-Present day-

I hear a lot about how 'certain people come into your life for a reason.' That everyone brings you something - love, friendship, kindness, a blessing - but I don't see how some grade eight asshole coming into my sister's life to fuck it up is reasonable. The only good thing that could possibly come out of this would be if Maggie grew a backbone and started to stand up for herself but that clearly isn't happening any time soon.

The saying is bullshit.

The school letting Malakai come back is bullshit, too.

Malakai comes back to school today. He should have been expelled, put in juvie, or something worse somehow. The mere fact that his presence will be in the building makes my stomach churn.