Chapter 2. Rowan's POV

Great. A new school, new teachers with favourites, other new kids looking for victims to prey on. Great. Uh, the perks of being the lettuce in the family salad, I think as I pull on my older brother's shirt, and trousers that show too much of my socks. It's a comfort to know that my best friend Tyger Salazar will be there. He's a lettuce kid too, but he was considered cool at our old school, and has a flair with girls. He's also what my mum would call an 'adrenaline junky' if she bothered to talk to me properly.
"Tyger's brother is giving me a ride, mum!"
I yell as I rush out of the door lugging a worn backpack.
Tyger's brother, Daniel, doesn't even bother to look up as I enter the car. He's 17, and goes to a different school, but Mrs Salazar made him take Tyger to school every day.
We drive through the usual morning traffic, Tyger and I chatting about stuff.
How he wants to go skydiving (which is bound to end in trouble), how we both know that this place is going to be a hellhole.
When we pull up, marble steps leading to the entrance gleam with a faded splendour that reeks badly of disinfectant.
I thank Daniel, even though he couldn't possibly care less.
We walk through the heavy wooden doors and see a small office window, labelled 'front desk'.
We collect our locker keys and timetables and to my annoyance, our lockers are at the opposite sides of the school.
"I'll still see you in class, right?" Asks Tyger, who is unconcerned.
But when we compare our timetables, the only lesson we have together is gym.
He walks away, muttering obscenities under his breath.
I sigh and look at my timetable again.
Per. 1- Mathematics, Room 3.14, Mr Cirrus
Per. 2- Geography, Room 2.08, Mr Possuelo
Break
Per. 3- Chemistry, Lab 1 (science block), Miss Curie
Per. 4- Gym, Gymnasium, Mr Chomsky and Miss Rand
Lunch
Per. 5- History, Room 2.10, Mr Faraday
Per. 6- English, Room 1.05, Miss Meir
I groan all the way to maths.
{A/N
All characters belong to Neal Shusterman!
Esme}