Chapter 8

Titania drew in a sharp breath. Suddenly her lungs forgot how to work and tears began cascading from her eyelids in rivers. Achilles grew wide-eyed at the announcement and at the princess in front of him. Quickly, he found Patroclus and gestured towards her, "Patroclus, take her below deck. Do not leave the ship until I return." Achilles dashed to his feet and ran towards his men, "Gather your weapons! Secure your armour! Death will befall Troy!"

"I want to fight!" Patroclus demanded, grabbing Achilles' forearm before the leader could get away.

"You're not ready."

"You've been training me for months. I am ready," he begged.

Achilles did not concede, "Follow your orders, soldier, and maybe we can discuss it later."

Patroclus dragged her sobbing frame to the mast column in the hold and was quick to tie her up again, binding her wrists and ankles as well as tying her to the large column.

Titania hadn't heard much of the battle. Below deck she was sheltered from the horrors she knew were happening outside. She heard the roar of fires, the shouts of dying men and the defeating sounds of victory.

The Greeks had won.

Titania could feel it. Her father's presence had left her despite her prayers. His city, her city, had died. Troy had fallen. She imagined the fathers being slain by their Greek enemies. She saw the mothers trying to shield their children from the gore, only to be ripped away from them by passing soldiers who killed little boys and robbed little girls of their innocence. She cried for them. She cried for her city. For her brothers, Hector and Paris, who had fallen likely to Achilles' blade. For Priam, her mortal father, who died for his city. For Aeneas, who had died waiting for her.

Patroclus said nothing, but continued to fiddle around below deck, jumping at the sounds of attack. It had been hours of endless carnage when one of the Myrmidons had come to fetch them.

"Agamemnon wants her." He simply said. Patroclus nodded and untied her from the mast but left the rest of her bonds intact. He tossed the silent princess over his shoulder and climbed the staircase. Titania remained quiet, with only silent tears dripping onto the floor.

The beach sand looked soft. She had loved riding on the beach when she was younger. She shuddered when she realised her trusted mount, Atalanta, would likely be dead as well.

Patroclus dropped her onto the sand. Her gaze remained trained on the beach sand, unwilling to see her city up in flames. She felt Agamemnon's presence before he spoke.

"Look, little girl, at what remains of your city!" he cackled. Titania made no movement. Agamemnon growled and grabbed her chin before forcing her gaze at the city ablaze, "Look at it! Look at the ashes of your family! Look at it!"

Titania's eyebrows furrowed.

"That's not Troy."

She knew it was dark. She knew the fires would likely make a city unrecognisable, but this was not Troy. The flags upon the walls were not blue, they were green. It was Elaea, a port city in Mysia.

The other kings with Agamemnon watched her in disbelief. It was the one to his right that spoke up first, "She's right, Agamemnon. There was no army here. There was no palace. This is not Troy, it's a trading town." Agamemnon could not believe his mistake, and neither could Titania. Her prayers had been answered! Apollo was with her. She felt him now. He was buying her people time.

Agamemnon hurried away with the other kings, gesturing for an older man with the mark of Ithaca on his chest to stay with her. He was the one who agreed with her. She ignored him, and sighed a well-deserved sigh of relief as tears of joy leaped to her eyes. Her city was safe. She could not believe her luck. The King watched her curiously. He was not angry, like she would expect from a Greek king, "I am Odysseus, King of Ithaca, it is a pleasure to meet you Princess Titania."