Chapter 21

"Are you insane?"

"Don't you dare insinuate that this is my fault!"

"You shot him in the face!"

"He was about to kill our brother," Titania roared back, "I don't recall you doing anything to stop it."

Hector stretched his hands out as though he were strangling an invisible neck, "You broke the laws of single combat, caused a massive battle with thousands of casualties, and then dared to nearly kill yourself by running right into their archers! You've lost all sense."

The throne room was thankfully empty except for the two of them, but it wouldn't be for long. Their next war council was due in the next few minutes, and Titania couldn't bare to allow the lords to see them fighting like this, "I would've killed Agamemnon if you hadn't stopped me. I could've ended it!"

"The arrow in your shoulder stopped you," Hector spat back, "And I'm glad it did. What was I supposed to do if you died? Hm?" Hector ran his hands through his hair and paced to the opposite end of the room, "What do I tell father? That his daughter ran headlong into an assault without care for her own life?"

"Yes," Titania clenched her fists at her side, "That's what soldiers do."

"No," Hector stuck an angry finger in her face, "It's what children do."

"You dare call me-"

"Shut up!" Hector cried out before grabbing her shoulders, "I don't know what that king did to you. Maybe if you told me I would understand, but I don't. To me, you ran after a kill you couldn't possibly make and nearly died yourself. You're becoming reckless. You have no consideration for your own life."

Titania pursued her lips and ran her tongue over her teeth as she stared at her brother in defiance, "What was I supposed to do? Let Paris die? Let Troy go unavenged?"

Hector closed his eyes, almost as if in pain, and leaned his head against his sister's as though he suddenly held a heavy load, "No. I should've done it myself, but I was too preoccupied with the laws that I didn't see Agamemnon make the battle call before Menelaus was even dead."

"Then why do you yell at me for doing it?" Titania asked in a small voice that only Hector could ever get her to use.

The Prince of Troy sighed tiredly, "I watched the arrow fly towards you, and for a moment I swore it pierced your heart." His fingers dusted trailed over the bandage that now decorated her shoulder, "I'm angry at you, because I nearly lost you again."

"That makes no sense. We've been fighting together for years, and you've never worried for me so much before."

Hector removed his forehead from hers and stalked away to her father's throne. For a moment, he watched it silently as though hoping a sign would come to him, "Your judgement has been clouded lately. You are very angry – at the Greeks, at Paris, at Helen. I worried you would let your anger overtake you in battle. I feared what it would mean."

Titania placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Please, brother, have faith in me."

"Promise you won't be so careless anymore. Promise me you'll try not to die in this war."

"I promise," she hugged her brother from behind and ignored the doubt creeping in the back of her mind. For a few moments they both watched the empty throne silently. The noise of the city trickled in through the windows and lifted their spirits. The trade routes were finally open again, and the rationing had stopped. The people had become lively and hopeful in the face of the Greek threat.

"Have you reconsidered speaking to your father?"

Titania let go of him and cleared her throat, "I can't do it, Hector."