Leaving the past behind

The two paramedics carried Jese out on a gurney. Rick met the paramedics as they put the Blonde into the the ambulance. Rick knew this wasn't good for Shane, Jese had meant everything to him and now she could die. Rick let the paramedics go before walking into the house finding Shane crying into his hands on the sofa, with two police officers trying to calm him down. Rick dismissed the two officers and sat down beside Shane putting a hand on his back.

"Hey man, it'll be fine. She's gonna make it.." Rick said with a reassuring smile.

Shane let it a sarcastic laugh and shook his head "It's my fault." Shane said softly glancing up at Rick with red puffy eyes.

"Nah man, it ain't ya couldn't have prevented it.." Rick stood and glanced around the house. "Why don't ya start cleanin' make the house nice and fresh for 'er when she gets home.."

"Man, what if she don't come home? What if she don't make it?" Shane asked hesitantly. He hated the thought of his daughter not returning but it was possible and he needed to be ready for it.

Rick shook his head with a sigh "Man don't think that, she's gonna be back soon, okay?" Rick paused looking Shane over "Why don't we go to the hospital and be there for her when she wakes up.."

Shane nodded taking Rick's suggestion. Rick pushed Shane through the front door and to his car. The car ride was silent, painfully so Shane just stared out the window and wasn't much for conversing at the moment. When they arrived at the hospital Shane practically fell out of the car, stumbling through the entrance of the hospital. Rick shook his head and turned off the car following Shane into the hospital. Once in and after talking to a couple nurses they learned Jese's room number and what floor.

Jese groggily let out a groan and opened her ice blue eyes, landing on her father and his best friend Rick. a soft smile found its way on her pale chapped lips.

Shane sat on the edge of the bed wrapping his arms around his daughter gently, so not to pain her anymore. "Baby, how are you? Are you in pain? Are you comfortable?" He was asking her a million questions at a time not giving her any time to answer any of them.

Rick chuckled and pulled a chair up to sit on the side of the bed. "Give her some time tah answer man."

Jese glanced at Rick and Shook her head at the older man. "Everything is fine Daddy.."

Shane nodded once pulling away "I'm so sorry baby.."

Rick sighed heavily standing "I'm gonna go check on the rookie that got shot out on that chase, boy I'm glad I was with ya instead" He commented and left to go find the young officer giving them some alone time.

Shane took the sit Rick was in and chewed on his bottom lip, watching the ivy drip the medicines into Jese's veins.

The blonde heaved a heavy sigh glancing at her father "Please stop worrying daddy, I will be fine." She let a smile tug at the edges of her lips.

The two talked for at least an hour before the nurse had announced that visiting hours were over.

That night Jese had slipped into a coma due to a nasty blow to the head. The hospital had alerted Shane right away but he was unable to actually come till early morning with Rick. They discussed the situation with multiple doctors before the two were forced to leave for work.

'We are to advise everyone to stay indoors and do not, I repeat Do not try to reach loved on-' The radio signal cut out and Shane cursed under his breath.

"Man what is tha plan? Go in there rip her away from the only thing that is keeping her alive?!" Rick half asked half growled at the bigger man with worry in his eyes

"Shut up I ain't leavin 'er 'ere, this place is goin to shit" Shane hissed back as he stopped the car and ran into the hospital. The two men passed many military men, who seemed a little too worried about getting out of there in a certain amount of time.

Rick watched the door, warning Shane if anyone was coming as he attempted to unhook his daughter from the machines. The ground then began to shake and a loud crash followed by a flash of light washed across the whole city. They both hit the ground, Rick scrambled to Shane covering his mouth as a man with a gas mask and a military outfit opened the door searching for anyone besides the patient. He had left just as quickly as he came, Rick rose to his feet bringing Shane with him, their breathing labored as they glanced at each other frantically.

"We gotta go, C'mon!" Rick growled pulling Shane

"We ain't goin no where without Jese." Shane retorted ripping his hand away from Rick.

"She is safe her man, she could die if we unhook her from all this shit!" Rick growled gesturing to the unconscious blonde.

Shane glanced at Rick and then back at his daughter, he knew Rick was right but he couldn't bare leaving here. He leaned over and kissed his daughter on the forehead "I'm sorry baby.." He whispered softly before reluctantly leaving with Rick.

Rick and Shane rolled a hospital bed in front of her door, keeping anything from getting into the room. They then left the hospital never looking back.

"Sorry for what daddy?" The blonde asked in a raspy voice opening her eyes and looking around the room.