12 - An Unexpected Call

The next day Marie was jovial. It was the happiest she had been in some time, and she felt as if nothing could ruin that feeling.

She woke that day not being able to find Mr. Whitlock and left him a note telling how much she enjoyed their date. She explained her gratitude at how kind he treated her, and excitedly wrote the words that she would visit again the next day. 

Marie did not get the chance to do that, however, for Eve, Oscar, and the children were going on a two-day camping trip and wanted her to join them. She decided to go, in hopes of feeling closer to her family and helping them feel closer to her.

Eve wondered about the sudden change in her sister, but decided not to ask. She assumed Marie would tell her at some point during their trip, although that was not Marie's plan. In fact, she had no idea how obvious her joy was to everyone around her.

At one point, little Leo asked, "Auntie, why are you so happy?"

"Oh. Well I'm happy because I get to spend time with you, and with your mama and papa, and with baby Janie." Was her quick response, which was still just as true as the real reason. Eve wasn't content with that reply, though, wary but still staying silent.

The first day of the trip was chaotic and stressful, especially for Marie who was not used to having young children around. Leo was too thrilled to sit still, Jane fussy because of the wind. Soon they settled into the tents, though, and had a rather relaxing next day.

Marie's mind was still on Mr. Whitlock, of course, but she still enjoyed her time there. She and Eve began to talk and laugh as they once had, almost feeling as if those years of tension never even existed. They would sit around the campfire and trade interesting stories, most of Eve's consisted of her children while Marie's were absurd tales she had written about. 

She had nearly forgotten the happy moments which reminded her how much she loved her sister, giving her even more reasons to stay longer. Eve truly was a wonderful person. Kind and smart, dedicated and loyal. She was a faithful wife and devoted mother, and gained joy at helping others.

People used to say they were so alike, practically the same people, but that couldn't be further from the truth. While Eve was social and friendly, Marie preferred to stay at home. While Eve was destined to be a perfect mother, Marie had never exactly felt that same desire. Eve was compassionate on an emotional level, while Marie was more analytical.

Yet they got along so very well, aside from the one two things they would fight about.

Marie used to hate how protective and controlling Eve would be over her, from her disappointed looks to her passive-aggressive notes. And although they had mostly grown out of such quarrels, the feeling would always be there. As well as their differing opinions about their mother, which was a subject bound to bring arguing if they dared to discuss it.

Marie spent the 3 hour trip back to Eve's house thinking over everything that had happened. Her life had changed completely in a matter of days, and she wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing. She missed her life back at her home, of course, but also was beginning to feel more and more connected to staying.

When they all walked back inside, Marie waited on the front porch. It was pleasant weather outside, and she wanted to be alone for a while. She closed her eyes, focusing only on the breeze touching the back of her legs and the leaves brushing her feet. She listened to the birds singing, and the cars rushing past. 

Then a loud, blaring noise filled her ears and her eyes shot open to see her cell phone ringing.

"Hello?" Marie said as she answered the call, unsure of who it was.

"Hi there. Is this Marie Westbrook?"

"Yes." She replied cautiously.

"Perfect. I am calling because our company has just gotten hold of a massive case, and we want our best journalist to cover it. You. This is a remarkable opportunity, and you will have an amazing time learning about it."

"Oh. Well, I'm flattered you picked me for the case. But I am currently not home, I'm away visiting family. Is there a way I can do this without needing to return so abruptly?"

"I'm afraid not, unfortunately. We would need you here, back at the office. But I can assure you that this is well worth your trouble, you will be commissioned greatly. So what do you say Marie?"

"Oh."

***

Marie sat on the bench with her face in her hands, ignoring the metallic taste in her mouth coming from the inside of her cheek as she bit it nervously. Choices were never easy for her, decisions weighed too much on her conscience.  What if she would regret it later on? What if she had picked the wrong option? What if it didn't work out, what if the risk wasn't worth taking?

Questions burned in her mind, anxiety forcing her to pull her arms to her chest.

Then she let out a deep breath, reassuring herself that she was content with her decision. That whatever ended up happening, she had made the right choice for herself. And that would help everyone around her.

"Marie? Is everything alright?" Eve walked onto the porch, the front door swinging shut behind her.

"Oh. Yes, sorry. I just got the most bizarre phone call." She replied, still feeling unsure. Eve would agree with what she decided, right? Hopefully. "Asking me to return home to work on a massive case. It is important, and interesting, and I would make quite a lot of income. Which would help to make up for the time I've been gone."

"What did you say? Are you going to do it?" Eve's eyes flickered with desperation as she prepared for the surely tragic answer. Marie stood up and walked over to Eve, grabbing her sister's hand in her own and staring into her eyes. As if to say that she was fairly certain she made the right choice, for every possible reason.

"No." She said, her voice hushed, "I'm going to stay here."