N i c k n a m e

I walk down the hall, lingering for a moment outside of the dining room, relishing the slight moment of quiet. I'm still not entirely used to it. I usually take a screw or a nut and bolt to fiddle with but I left them in my room. I sigh.

"Well, Allura, are you just going to stand there?" A familiar voice chuckles.

I turn. As expected, it's Victor. His dark hair is more ruffled than usual; it looks fluffed up, cute. His cheeks are red, sunburned. 

"Well?" He says with a playful grin.

"Hm? What? I-I, well...No, I waz jus-"

"Staring at me?"

"No! I waz enjoying ze quiet for a little."

He's silent for a second, his playful grin teasing me.

"And staring."

"Victor!"

"I don't blame you, Allura." He winks playfully.

I punch his shoulder, laughing, embarrassed, but avoiding looking him in the eyes. He laughs and walks into the dining room. I trail behind him and sit down next to him. He's still grinning.

He looks so proud of himself, like teasing me was fun for him.

"I hate you." I mumble, teasing him.

"Hm?" He says, the smirk evident in his voice. "What was that, Remsie~?"

"Rem-Remzee?"

He nods. "Your middle name is Remi, right? I'm not wrong, am I?"

"N-no. My second name iz Remi. I-I jus'... A nickname...Why?"

Victor shrugs, a nonchalant smile on his face. He punches my shoulder lightly. "Friendship."

I chuckle slightly. He's so strange. 

"I zuppoze I'll 'ave to figure one out for you too."

His eyes light up, his grin growing. "Really?"

"Uh, yez? Iz that a problem?"

"What? No! It's just...No one's ever given me a nickname before." He beams.

"But you said..."

"I know...I've always just been Victor."

"Oh."

By now, everyone has sat down and began to eat. So, we both reach out and grab a sandwich. I can't stop the smile on my face. 

Lunch came and went quickly, everyone leaving eventually and finding their own thing to do. The youngest - Claire, Olive and Horace - have lessons while the rest of us are left to our own accord.

I find myself in the library, the loudness of the other children becoming too much for me. I pick a book, an old book with a red, leather cover, and sit by the window. I begin to read.

"Remsie~" Victor calls from the doorway. "What're you all alone for?"

I look at him from my seat, shrugging. "I don't know. Jus' enjoying ze quiet, I zuppoze."

"You...like the quiet, don't you?"

"Zome quiet," I correct. "Zome quiet iz hard to deal wit but I do like zis quiet."

"What's the difference?" He asks with an amused grin.

"Well...Ze quiet of ze night can be scary becauze of the complete absence of noize...but right now, I can hear ze birds and ze other children playing outside - jus' not az loud."

"Ah. So, we're too loud for you, Remsie?"

"I- Well, no. Everyone iz. My old 'ome, my brothers, my old friends."

"Even me." 

He has a mock pout on his face. I scoff.

"Zometimez. But, on your own, you are okay."

He smiles. "So, I can stay?"

"You can read?" I tease, waving the book in his face.

"Yes! I can!"

He looks at his lap as if he has more to say.

"But?"

"Maybe...Maybe you could read to me? I-I like your accent." He admits.

I smile. "Zit down."

He grins, sitting down across from me with a dopey grin.