Chapter Four

Sometimes she would close her eyes. She'd lay down and listen to the world around her. And listening to the world, she would dream. Dream of what happiness was, what peacefulness felt like. The time she spent just imagining being someplace else was astonishing, but it's the only thing that gave her peace. When she opened her eyes though and was met with reality, her stomach would always twist in painful loneliness.

So here again, she does it. She closes her eyes and listens to the birds and the wind and she dreams. She dreams she's in the forest, alone and content. She dreams her belly is full and no one is there to hurt her. She dreams of happiness. Of not being lonely. But when she opens them, there it is.

Sadness.

There's no way to truly describe it, as emotions are something felt, not said. But to her it felt like someone was slowly twisting her guts in a way that made her feel numb and uncomfortable. She didn't cry, but inside she was empty. So she laid and looked at nothing while trying to feel anything.

Sitting now, she gazed at the stars and contemplated the concept of time. What really was it? She decided that time really didn't have a meaning, for she was in a constant state of now. The sun would rise, the sun would set, but she was always there. For her, time didn't start until she was born. But why was that? What was her purpose in this place? Everyone leaves a mark on history, so why did she feel so small compared to others, yet so large herself?

Her consciousness was her world. It's were she could truly be herself. Why are others so different and yet so similar in their actions?

Her thoughts were cut short when she saw the boy exit the house. Jack. She put the name to the face, trying to remind herself that he was also a soul, not just a slab of meat.

Jack looked worried and rushed, he had a bag on and another around his shoulder. He quietly ran up to her, as quietly a human could run that is, for she could hear him loud and clear. She didn't bother to make a move, the emptiness she felt inside making her want to lay down and never move again. The boy got closer when he saw she wasn't snapping at him, and she got a better look at that kind face.

"Hey girl," he whispered, "I can't take it anymore, I just can't," tears were streaming down his face as he reached out to touch hers. About to snap at him, Kaitlyn stopped.

He's sad, like me. The intrusive thought calmed her mind and she let him touch her. She was on guard, but the curiosity of seeing another soul in true emotional pain for the first time kept her from lashing out. Silently she watched as he unhooked her from the leash.

"It's either I'm going now or I'm gonna end it. There's no other way out. There's no hope for me girl, none at all. I'm bound to have to live like this forever, so I might as well give you a chance to be happy." And that's the moment she started to feel trust. Like her, this Human just wanted to be free and happy. "I'm running away. I don't know what to do or where to go, how am I going to survive? I'm scared girl, I'm scared... it hurts to admit it but I can't deny it. I'm a coward. I shouldn't stay here, but I'm scared of the future." He looked back at the Wolf with tear-filled eyes, and she looked back.

She just watched him, not knowing what to do. It's been a long time since she was this close to someone in a non-hostile way, and with her now free, she was confused. Everyone is scared of the future, Jack. She wanted to say, we all are just in a constant state of trying to fight the future with our knowledge of the past, but the future is meant to be unknown. But not a word was uttered, for she is a wolf, and he is a man.

And with that thought, she got up and left.