Chapter 21~ Bruises

  I was running. Running through the dark forest as rain poured down all around me and lightning cracked across the sky.

  "Come out, come out wherever you are," The voice taunted. It seemed to be coming from everywhere as the fierce wind whipped my hair around.

  "Please leave me alone," I sob as I stumble across the muddy ground. Panting, I stop and lean against a dead tree, trying to catch my breath.

  "Now why would I do that Pogue?" The voice suddenly whispered in my ear, making me whip my head around only to see nothing.

  My heart was beating frantically as I pushed myself off the tree and I began running again.

  "You can't run from your problems princess," The voice said before I felt my harm being tugged forcefully back.

  I whirl around only to come face to face with Kelce. Rain dripped from his short hair and down past his cold eyes.

  From the corner of my eye I saw him pull something shiny out of his pocket. When I realized what it was I'd reacted to late.

  Kelce plunged the knife into my stomach as thunder rumbled overhead. The pain was unimaginable as I took a shaky step back.

  "Izzy."

  My hands went to the knife in my chest as a smirk slowly spread over Kelce's face.

  All I could do was watch in shock as Kelce ripped the knife out and then I felt myself falling.

  Only I didn't hit the ground when I fell, I went through. A scream tore from my throat as I continued to fall.

  "Izzy!"

  I bolt upright in my bed and hiss in pain as my forehead connects harshly with JJ's.

  "Ow, goddamn, woman," JJ says as he massages his forehead.

  I let out a deep breath to try and calm my heavy breathing as JJ looks at me in concern.

  "You were whimpering in your sleep, are you okay?"

  "Yeah, just a bad dream," I murmur as I pull my legs to my chest, grimacing slightly at the pain in my stomach.

  JJ clenches his jaw as his eyes linger on my neck.

  I look at him in confusion before I slowly raise my hand to my neck. My neck was definitely bruised, but that's not what JJ was looking at.

  I raise my hand higher until I feel the tender mark right below my jawline.

  "Is that a hickey?" I ask in disbelief, remembering when Kelce had me pinned against the wall.

  JJ nods and I see his fist clench slightly.