Chapter Six

I smile as I look through the window. I look at the passing trees, flowers and sky. The dark blue has taken over, with little white dots spread on them rarely. I smile as I remember all the people, places and memories I am leaving behind while stepping in the new life.

"Mom." I call her in a low voice as I look in the front, where they are sitting. I wonder if they were as worried as I am today. She turns around, her blonde hair down perfectly straight. "Are you sure that I am going to get my element? I don't really wish to go there and make fool of myself." I whisper, still barely comprehending what is going on around me in my own life.

"Don't be silly, honey." Mom smiles at me encouragingly. She pushes her hair behind her ear as she takes a better look at me. "I am sure that you have a power, Cassie." She sighs and starts biting her bottom lip. "I don't say this, because you are my daughter. I just... I can sense the large, vibrating power coming from you. It is vibrating in the air, sending waves towards me and any Elementalist that is around you." She looks straight in my eyes. "You have great powers inside of you, Cassidy. You just need help to learn how to control it." I nod, strange feeling bubbling up inside my stomach. I know that it is not anxiousness. It is something more, something massive that consumes my whole self.

"Anyways, what do you think it will be?" Dad looks at me through the mirror, but quickly averts his gaze back on the road. I can sense that he is trying to lighten up the atmosphere, but I don't know how much they will like my answer.

"I always wanted Water." Mom admits and turns back forward, smiling at herself. "I always thought that it would be beneficial to have Water Elements in the shields."

"What shields?" I ask as I lean forward, my head popping between them. Mom and Dad look at each other with discomfort, but I am not dropping the subject.

  "Well, back then when I was still at school I wanted to work for The Base." Mom starts explaining her story. "I wanted to be in Offender Squad and fight against the enemy." She whispers and sighs. "But then... my goals changed. I had you and I couldn't go on as many missions as before." She whispers and smiles at me. "And then when Jordan came, we knew that it was way too dangerous life to live with two children."

"Oh." I whisper, feeling guilty for being the reason, mom and dad too, probably, gave up on their dreams and goals.

"So, enough about me." Mom smiles and turns around once more. "What element do you want?" She asks me with large smile plastered on her face. I don't know many of the elements and their powers, I don't even know what they do. But one thing pops up in my mind as soon as the question is asked.

"Energy." I whisper and look at both of my parents' reaction. Dad's face doesn't even change, not drifting his gaze away from the road. While mom's eyes become sadder, filled with unsaid pain and sadness I can't name.

"It's... It's a great element." Mom finally manages to say. "I knew a lot of people, who were strong Energy Elementalists." She adds and looks out through the window. "It is truly great choice, Cassie." She whispers once more and smiles.

No one says a word ever since. The journey, which will lead me to my new beginning is quiet and tiring. I try to stir some conversation here and there, but they only throw at me laconic answers. I can feel that I have touched some touchy subject, but how was I supposed to know?

"We will be there soon." Dad declares as we pass another valley. Mom nods, but says nothing. I only yawn and lean against the chair.

After fifteen minutes or so, we reach the large metallic gates with EH engraved in the middle. Large, enormous brick walls are surrounding the whole perimeter. As soon as we stand in front of the gates, they open, letting us in.