FIVE

Ruby and I both give each other the side eye

I tuck my pin straight hair over each shoulder and use every ounce of my restraint not to cuss my mother out. I'd give the women the world in a heartbeat, her and my father, god knows they deserve it after putting up with me all these years, but this time she has went too far.

"Oh, Clelia," my mother chides, coming to stand by my side. "At least pretend to be happy, people have eyes, you know. Lock the car... and please, don't cause a scene."

I gnaw on my bottom lip with my top row of teeth, swallowing my expletives. I had on the nicest dress I owned, pale pink, off the shoulder peplum style, and then I drove over an hour in my nude heels, just to please her.

I did all of that for my mother, only for her to blindside me and now she expects me to crack a smile?

Not a chance in hell.

"We could leave her here." I suggest to Ruby, waving my key behind me blindly, repeatedly pressing the lock button.

My heels sink into the gravel driveway and I feel like that's the universe's way of telling me to stay put.

I used to play in this same driveway when I was little. There weren't any plant features to worry about at the time like there is now. I could kick a ball around freely with the homeowners children. I'd ride my pink bike along the street. Funnily enough, at the end of the pathway that leads to and from the house is where I fell off my bike when I was six.

I scraped my knee and cried like a bitch.

Eyeing the same pathway, I consider falling to the ground in floods of tears if I thought it would get me out of this.

"No," Ruby shakes her head, adjusting the shoulder strap of her purse. "We drove all the way here. We're staying."

I hate it when she's right, she has always been the brains between us both. I deposit my keys into my purse and we trail behind my mother, the neck of her wine bottle secured safely in her fist. I sulk like a petulant child, one that isn't used to not getting her own way.

An empathetic smile graces my friends lips and she offers me encouraging words, "Maybe it won't be so bad."

Those are the famous last words.

✗ ✗ ✗

"I need a cigarette."

Ruby laughs. "At least give it a chance, Clelia."