Chapter 23-Ben's Banishment

I groan and pain spikes in my head, but as soon as Ben goes flying off of Thomas, I rush for him, ignoring the burning affliction, I slide on the grass, ending up right at his side on my knees, I immediately help him up to a sitting position as the others clasps their hands around the animal that was Ben "Thomas, are you ok?" I quickly ask, eyes filled with passionate concern "yeah, I'm ok" he answers, I sigh in relief, gratefully smiling "what the heck happened?" Frypan asks, straining to holding Ben down "he just attacked me" Thomas answers shakily. I stand and lend him my hand, he gratefully takes it and stands next to me, Alby breaks through the circle that surrounds the struggling boy, staying silent as he looks at Ben "alright, lift his shirt" Alby commands, the boys detaining him try to do so as Ben thrashes in their hold "no, no, don't!" He begs, just as they lift his shirt, a sickening silence covers the boys, I react by gasping in horror, covering my mouth as it hangs wide open to the sight, streaked across Ben's abdomen was a spiderweb of purple oozing veins. To the right of his belly button was a piercing, but small, hole, the obvious center of the wound, the webs of tentacles spread like infected fire, spreading over with dominance, I stare at the sight with great idiosyncrasy and twisting perturbation as Ben heaves, breathing rapidly "he's been stung" Gally speaks as many voices finally display their disgust "in the middle of the day?" He asks, looking towards Alby, I stare at the boy in confusion, but with a small dose of repugnance, I was able to wipe that feeling away "please, please just help" Ben sobs in begs, Alby stands, clearly heartbroken. "Put him in the Pit" Alby commands softly, pointing over to what I could only guess was the place called the Pit, this command was much like a sentence to Ben "come on, everybody help put him to the Pit" Gally ushers, Ben thrashes in their holds, trying vainly to get someone to listen to him "no, no, NO!" He screams, much like a madman, he twists and yells his cries, begs of pure desperation as they bind his hands and carry him as if he weighed nothing more than just a feather, I watch, alone. The boys disperse, all leaving as Ben's panicked yells drown out in the distance, I watch with confused eyes, Thomas by my side, Thomas takes my hand, bringing me back to this harsh reality, I smile sadly at him, his eyes grow heavy as they land on my cheek "Rose, your cheek" he shows his brood, he goes to touch it with a ginger touch, but he asks for permission with his eyes, I nod at him, his fingers barely graze my face, but it is enough to send an unbelievable fire throughout my cheek, I wince, not even bothering to hide it "that looks bad". He speaks, seeing my pain "what, nah, I'm perfectly fine" I lie, containing the tears that would pool in my eyes to the pain, he gives me a look, I place my hands on him, cupping his cheeks, holding him gently, his eyes widen "as long as you are ok, I am ok" I honestly admit, he smiles at me "thanks, for saving my butt" he chuckles, I smile at him, letting my hands slip from his face "any time, just hope you'd do the same for me" I admit, he smiles "definitely" he states boldly. I shy away, looking away from him for a second before I send him a smile, my eyes wanting to connect with his, but his eyes are already off of me, I follow them and find Alby, walking away, we share a determined look, knowing well we both wanted answers, we both rush for the leader of the Gladers, Alby walks to Homestead, once there he sits alone, secluded from others bustling around him, shoulders hunched and heavy with sadness for his brother, Chuck sits next to him, exchanging a few words, hopefully words of assurance to him. We meet up with them "you ok, Alby?" I ask softly, he sighs heavily, shaking his head no, I frown and knee before him, I throw myself at him, arms wrapping around tightly, hoping to lift the boy from the depths of sorrow, he doesn't hug back, but I didn't need him to, I slowly leave him, allowing my arms to slip off him for his space, Thomas sits next to him, his eyes look towards Alby "what happened to him?" He asks, I listen in, despite this being the wrong time to ask questions "it's called the Changing, it's what happens when you get stung". Alby answers heavily, eyes flickering to Thomas "what's it like, getting stung, I mean?" I ask "wouldn't know, never been stung, but I've seen it many times to know exactly what happens, first, it's just a sting, a painful thing that many have gone through, but, it's so fast, it spreads faster than fire, after the sting, you start feeling sick, start hearing voices in your head, start having these nightmares, about places and people you don't know, spit up blood so thick it looks like tar, you slowly go insane, but this is the first time it's ever gotten violent" he describes. I shiver at the thought, he stands, pushing off his knees "it's a gift that the Creators gave us" he adds bitterly "the Creators?" I question again "it's what I call the people who dumped us in this place" he answers, he stays silent for a moment "you guys should get ready" he informs us, me and Thomas give him a confused glance "mentally, I mean" he adds "for what?" I ask, standing up too, seeing his slumped shoulders and dark eyes, it perturbed me "a few minutes before sundown, you two are invited, to Ben's Banishment".