Chapter 1

Arcadia Oaks. This small, peaceful town has become the battlefield for a war that's centuries old. Its streets were filled with the noise of battle as Gunmar The Black's army fought against the few surviving denizens of Trollmarket, their allies, and team trollhunter. These two troll armies would have turned to stone were it not for Morgana bringing about the Eternal Night, protecting the trolls from the sunlight.

The battle lasted for hours, both sides taking losses with each passing moment. It all came to a head when James Lake Jr. engaged in combat against Gunmar himself and the Morgana's assassin, Angor Rot. These ancient warriors would have killed Jim by now had the boy not been turned into a half-troll by Merlin himself, giving him the strength and speed to fight these two on equal footing. Their fight tore through the city as the three fought with both skill and savagery. At some point Angor Rot was tossed away from the battle by Gunmar.

Jim was relieved as now he only had to face one opponent instead of two. That relieve was short lived however when Gunmar grabbed him and threw him at city-hall. His amulet quickly surrounded him in a protective barrier as he hit the building a boom. The impact left him disoriented for a few moments before coming back to his senses and finding that Gunmar was nowhere in sight. He climbed on top of the building, sword materializing in his hand, and looked around for his opponent. Said opponent burst out from the roof and came down with a mighty swing of his blade. Jim was caught off-guard by the sudden attack and was barely able to block the blow that was then accompanied by a few quick swings that left him wide open for Gunmar to uppercut him. He flew up a few feet before coming back down with a thud and sliding to the edge of the roof, and arm draped over said edge. He groaned in pain as Gunmar slowly approached him, dragging his blade across the roof's tiles.

"You wear a troll's armor, now you share our skin. But inside, you will bleed red!"

Jim turned himself over and tried to get back up, but Gunmar pinned his sword arm down with his foot.

"The age of man has ended."

The warlord raised his other foot and firmly brought it down on Jim's chest and pointing the tip of his blade Jim's face.

"You will be my first human slave!"

The Decimaar blade's aura latched onto Jim's face and began to pull.

Jim cried in agony as the blade tried to take his will from him. He did all he could to fight against the blade's pull, but he could feel his strength beginning to wane and his mind becoming foggy. Just then, piercing the haze of his mind, the voices of his friends cried out to him. He looked to the side and saw faces of his loved ones looking back at him with looks of fear and worry. It hurt him to see those looks on their faces, but the one that hurt the most was Claire's. He could see the tears streaming down her face as she looked on, but also the sorrow held in her eyes. Rage like no other roared inside him at the sight of this. He glared back at Gunmar with fury in his eyes.

"In their darkest hour, I burn brightest!"

The amulet ticked and ticked before dinging. A red light shined from the magical trinket before traveling across the armor. Jim felt the boost in power the amulet was giving him and made use of it. He reached up and grabbed the blade in front of him.

Gunmar watched in horror as the Trollhunter grabbed his blade, its yellow glow turning red at his touch. "What? No!"

Jim shoved the blade, along with Gunmar, away with a roar. He tensed his muscles as Gunmar came charging back at him with a battle-cry. Just as Gunmar was close enough to strike, Jim quickly summoned his blade and struck first.