52 - Lady Injustice

"December fifth," Mr. Casey says as Candis, Von, Apollo and Luca and I drop down into our regular spots on the couches for our weekly meeting in Corndog Mumson. "Anyone have anything new to report?"

We all sigh dejectedly.

I finally told everyone about Oskur's initiation plan, leaving out a few minor details: a) the deadline—which nobody knows is tomorrow and b) the fact that they would all probably be on the kill list if I hadn't made that deal with Mauro.

What they know is that Oskur is planning a mass initiation sometime in the near future, and all the information he's collected is stashed in a secret room somewhere. The newspaper I took from Dad's chair was completely useless—the only Shadow-related "news" was some pretentious story about Oskur new mansion in New Orleans—so we're basically fighting blind. Luca and I are supposed to be keeping our stress levels down so our Clairvo senses stay sharp (fat chance), and everyone else is supposed to be watching people for suspicious behavior: Is anyone new hanging out with the Shadows? Have we noticed anyone looking particularly stalkerish lately? That kind of thing.

I hate to admit it, but I gave up a long time ago. As long as Mauro upholds his end of the deal, when tomorrow hits, everyone in this room and their immediate families should be in the clear.

That's the best I could do.

"Well, don't all look so hopeful!" Mr. Casey barks.

"Sorry, M.C.," Candis says. "It's just that... well we're basically needle-diving in gargantuan haystacks here. You haven't gotten anything more from your contact, and Bliss has told us all she knows, right Bliss?"

She catches me off guard. "Oh, uhh... yeah. Right."

Luca and I make eye contact, but I can't read her. If she knows I'm lying—and why—she's doing a dang good job of hiding it. "Bliss and I haven't been able to sense any new Shadow activity in weeks," she says.

This happens every week. When it's time for some kind of Clairvo report, Luca speaks for both of us. It's almost like she's covering for me. But that couldn't be right....

"And my parents haven't uncovered anything at City Hall that could help us," Apollo adds. "Maybe we should—" he looks around the table at each of us, and each of us, in turn, looks down, "—let this go. For now at least."

Mr. Casey clears his throat. "Alright, Oskur-plot aside for the moment, has anyone made any discoveries that will help Bliss along on her journey?"

No one speaks. I scratch at the leather of the sofa, feeling more and more guilty by the second. I haven't had the courage to tell them that the battle was lost on the afternoon of Reign's accident—

My head snaps up. "What day did you say it was, Mr. Casey?"

"Today is December fifth, dear. Forty-three days since Luca was almo...." His voice fades into oblivion. Reign's accident was a month ago yesterday. I still haven't seen or heard from him, and I have no idea where he is or how he's doing.

They're all staring at me. "Bliss?" Apollo says. "Are you alright?"

I have to get out of here.

I stand and pull on my jacket and Reign-gloves. "I—I just need some fresh air," I mutter, tripping as I head toward the door. Von catches me. His concerned face just makes me that much more anxious to get out.

"You sure you're alright, Miss Myer?" Mr. Casey asks.

I look around at all their faces. They look back at me, full of concern for my wellbeing, but all I can see is how much I've failed them.