What Are You Saying

They could have kissed like this for ages if it wasn't for her neighbours dog who start barking when he got outside.

They let go of each other, not really knowing what to say. Audrey quickly grabbed her helmet that was on the grass.

"So what does this mean?" said Neil looking at her but as soon he saw the look on her face he realized the stupidity he just said.

"So what does this mean! What are we, sixteen?." said Lim mocking Melendez. She was a bit furious by those words but didn't blame him because she felt the same way, confused and lost.

"I'm sorry this is not what I meant. I... it's hard to find the right words." he tried his best not to say something more dumb. "Can we talk, I'm sure we can figure something out."

She didn't respond, she simply turn around and walked to her door. Neil didn't move waiting for her signal.

"What are you doing? Come, we can't talk if you stay outside." she had an amused look on her face. He followed her without saying anything. He was simply happy that she agreed to talk more about this complicated situation.

Audrey opened the door and drop her belongings next to the entrance. They walk to the couch without saying a word. Both didn't know were to start. They didn't want to do the same mistake from the night before.

Neil cleared his throat "So... what do we do now?" Audrey didn't answer so he ask another question "Do we try to do what I suggested by me moving to Glassm..."

"No! We can't tell him about us!" She cut him off. Neil was surprise by what Audrey just said.

"Why can't we tell him about us?", he knew that he wouldn't like the answer but he needed to know "Audrey! What did he say to you?"She knew that she had to tell him everything now.

Audrey took a deep breath "Well after your shift ended" he had his eyes locked on hers but she wasn't looking at him. "Aaron came to my office to talk about what happened at the nurse station and his office."

"I thought we had already cleared that out!" he didn't know where she was going with this but it didn't sound good.

"So did I, anyway we talk, well he talk I almost didn't say a word to him an..." Neil cut her.

"Audrey you're rambling get to the point quick" he was getting impatient.

"He give me two options, we broke up and we get to keep our jobs or he let go of you" she looked down not wanting to see his reaction.

"He can't say that, we could report him to HR!" Neil was furious.

"No we can't, we broke up remember?" they didn't say a word for a couple of minutes, letting the silence filled the air around them.

Neil was the one who broke the moment " You're telling me the reason we broke up was because Glassman told you to? That you didn't even bother to ask me what I thought about it before making the decision." They were looking right into each other eyes. Audrey could see that he was mad and Neil could see that she was sorry.

"I'm sorry Neil, I thought that I was doing the right thing. And I did do the right thing." she said.

"How can you say something like that" he raised his voice.

She looked at him shocked "So you're telling me that if you had lost your job because of our relationship you would have been fine with that! Cause I know for a fact that I wouldn't have been able to forgive you... to forgive me."

Neil knew that she was right, their love for competition was the thing that brought them closer and at the same time it was the couple's weakness . A little mistake could tear them apart. "So what do we do" he respond.

She pinched her lips before saying "We could go back and hide our relationship all over again!"

"No, it's not enough and you remember how stressful it was when we were on dates. I'm not playing hide and seek anymore." the idea of hiding their relationship again wasn't what he wanted.

"Neil, we don't have a choice. It's that or no relation at all, do I need to remind you that our jobs are at sack?" he knew it's was a rhetorical question.

"It's not fair, I want to tell the world that I love you Audrey... I want more then just secret dates." he got up and start walking around the living room.

"Neil, if anyone knows that life isn't fair it's us. We see everyday sick people that don't deserve to be." she followed him and grabbed his arm stopping him from moving, "I want more too."

"What are you saying?" he was shocked that Audrey Lim the expert in hiding her feelings was so open.

"I don't know" she said with honesty. "I don't know, all I know is that I love you and I want to be with you, go home to you after a long shift at work and drink whiskey till all our problems disappears" she never have been so honest in a relationship even when she was married.

Neil took a step in front of him, closing the gap that was keeping them apart. They didn't move, they didn't breath both scared that they would do the wrong thing and make things worse than they were already. Neil grabbed her hand, gently moved it next to his mouth and kissed her palm. She closed her eyes and moved her arms around his neck while putting her forehead on his.

"We don't have another choice do we?" he ask making her open her eyes and letting go the embrace.

"I don't think we do!" she said. They both sigh at same time and laugh while looking at each other.

"I better go, let you get some sleep." he walked to the door and turned to look at Audrey. He was about to say something but stopped. He smiled and said "Goodnight Audrey!"

"Goodnight Neil!" she respond and closed the door behind him. She was smiling like an idiot... a happy idiot.

The door was closed but they were still in front of it not knowing that neither of them left. Her back was again the door when she heard a knock. Surprised she open it to find Neil leaning on the door frame.

"Neil! Are you ok?" she didn't know why he came back so quick.

"I forgot to do something!" he said walking towards her and pressing his lips against hers. It lasted a few second and he let go of the embrace.

"Bye Aud" he left without turning his back to her, not even once. But she was still looking at him. She was standing there not moving until he got in his car and drove away.

She closed the door again and placed her fingers on her mouth. Where his was touching hers not that long ago. She didn't know how to feel. Was she happy, sad or angry. She went to bed a little better then she would have felt if they wouldn't have talked. But the storm wasn't over yet, the rain was still falling and they both needed to stay strong.