Chapter Seven

Monday, three weeks after funeral

Gray's POV
Today was the day.

I sat up in bed, staring at the alarm clock beside me. It read 6:32. Perfect. I had to be in the office at 7:20 to get ready for briefing and speak with my teammates.

I swung my feet over the side of the bed, stretching my arms and legs. I slept amazing last night, especially since I went to sleep early. I looked to my left to smile at the woman who was still asleep beside me. I was so glad I decided to marry her. We had been dating for a little over five years before I finally tied the knot. My parents weren't very happy, since they never really liked her, but I loved her. So it didn't matter what my parents thought.

I stood and approached my closet, pulling out a simple outfit and throwing it on. As I was buttoning up my shirt, I heard my wife stirring in bed. Turning around, I caught her staring at me as I got dressed.

"What are you looking at?" I asked with a smile as I approached her. She was very clearly and unapologetically looking at my ass while I got dressed.

She smiled and leaned up, catching a kiss from me. "Your amazing ass." She replied as her eyes switched from mine to said body part.

I chuckled. "I know. I just wanted to hear you say ass." I kissed her one more time before turning around to continue getting ready. But before I could move away, I felt her hand grab my wrist. "Babeee, why do you have to work every day?" She asked with a pout.

"Because, my dear Evangeline, we need to be able to afford stuff, and I need to be able to take care of you." I replied as I pulled my wrist out of her grip.

"You know I'd work so you could get a more stable job." Eve replied.

"You've told me you'll work so many times. But I love my job, and I love you. I wanna make sure you never have to work a single day anymore. You're a perfect housewife anyway." I walked over to the vanity and looked at myself in the mirror to make sure I looked presentable. I was wearing a simple blazer with a white button up shirt underneath.

"But I feel bad though. We don't even have a kid, so what's the point of being a housewife?"

"Well, when we adopt one, then you'll have a kid to be a housewife for. And me, of course." I smiled at her in the mirror. The thought of kids always made me nervous, but I knew Eve would be a perfect mother. And although my parents would be angry at me for even thinking about adopting a child with the situation I'm in, I didn't care. Eve and I were happy, and Eve wanted kids, so we'll have kids. I wanted to make Eve happy so much, and I'd go to the ends of the Earth just to make her smile. I made sure she knew that every day.

"What do you think we'll name her?" Eve turned to lie on her stomach, staring at me lovingly as she tried to think up a good name for our daughter. We always knew we wanted a daughter more then anything.

"I dunno, but our arrangement was that you picked the first name and I picked the middle." I replied as I grabbed my bag from beside the vanity. I looked at the clock. It read 6:45.

Before Eve could respond, I spoke. "I need to get going, love. I'm meeting my new unit chief early to discuss some things."

Eve pouted, and just that simple facial movement made my heart melt. "Baby, I'll be back later today as long as we don't have a case." I said. Eve stood from the bed and moved over to me. As soon as she was close enough, I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her into a gentle hug. "I love you, baby." I kissed the top of her head, which caused her to hug me tighter.

"I miss you, Clara." She spoke quietly.

I moved my long blonde hair away from my face and leaned my cheek against the top of her head. "I know, Evie. I know. But this is only temporary. After this, I'll go back to having a boring desk job that pays well. I'd do anything for you, baby. You know that, right?"