Chapter 5: All the Stars in the Sky

Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn threw her head back in a raw, keening cry. In it she poured all her pain, sorrow, mourning and loss. Lexy was gone. And she would never come back.

An echo ricocheted off the rocky face of the cliff and off into the wide, endless expanse that had kept her safe for as long as she could remember.

Feeling wretched, she gazed up at the stars, about to keen again, but when she caught sight of the sky, her breath hitched.

The sky was illuminated with a thousand bright, twinkling lights. As she watched, wide-eyed in amazement, the stars suddenly dimmed......All except for one.

One lone star sat shining amongst the clear, fading hues of the dusk sky. Gasping, Kaitlyn felt herself emersed in the sheer beauty of love. That star was Lexy. She was sure of it.

I'm coming, Lexy. Stay strong! 

Hope swept up and expelled all the doubts, worries and sadness that had shrouded Kaitlyn's mind since the capture of her sister, instead filling it with hope, and a burning conviction.

"I'll find you, Lexy. If it's the only thing I'll ever do," she told the star, head up and chin raised, "by my spirit, by my soul, by my heart and by my blood. I'm coming, and all the stars in the sky couldn't stop me."

As the world around her lapsed into the peaceful serenity of night, she allowed herself to be lulled to sleep. How could her parents possibly question her disappearance for one night?

They were dead, after all.

• • •

P.S. I'm holding a "name the dots" competition. No prizes, but good luck everyone!